• Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

• Post Thanks / Like

meaning of the highlighted part

Hello everyone

I'd like to ask about the meaning of the highlighted part in the following passage:

Egalitarianism considers that the differences of wealth and financial resources, should be neutralized in the context of political competition. In terms of political finance, this neutralization is done through a variety of instruments, which fall into two major categories: state aid to help equalize the resources of the major political actors and the introduction of expenditure and contribution limitations designed to decrease the influence of wealthy political donors. Most West European models could be described as ‘egalitarian’ (although to different degrees) insofar they consider state intervention directly affecting the resources of political actors to be legitimate.

Does "insofar they consider state intervention directly affecting the resources of political actors to be legitimate" mean "because they think that state requires the resources of political actors to be legitimate"?

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: meaning of the highlighted part

Quote Originally Posted by KLPNO View Post
    Does "insofar they consider state intervention directly affecting the resources of political actors to be legitimate" mean "because they think that state requires the resources of political actors to be legitimate"?
    I think your interpretation is perfectly reasonable, but to interpret the sentence's meaning as plainly and directly as possible, I think this is a more straightforward rephrasing:

They (the West European models) consider the act of intervention (by the state) to be acceptable.

As these West European models allow state intervention to help politicians, it is implied that the political actors are a (to use your words) required resource to the state: they represent and legitimise their party and the political system as a whole.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: meaning of the highlighted part

Quote Originally Posted by colloquium View Post
    I think your interpretation is perfectly reasonable, but to interpret the sentence's meaning as plainly and directly as possible, I think this is a more straightforward rephrasing:

They (the West European models) consider the act of intervention (by the state) to be acceptable.

As these West European models allow state intervention to help politicians, it is implied that the political actors are a (to use your words) required resource to the state.
    Thank you very much, colloquium.