Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. vercalpe's Avatar

    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 3
    #1

    "It" refers to what?

    " I have a house with a big iron gate, but I have to cover it with zinc to eliminate the chance of it rusting when winter comes and rain starts to fall. "

    "it" here refers to what? ... the house or the big iron gate? Please help! Thanks!

  2. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #2

    Smile Re: "It" refers to what?

    Quote Originally Posted by vercalpe View Post
    " I have a house with a big iron gate, but I have to cover it with zinc to eliminate the chance of it rusting when winter comes and rain starts to fall. "

    "it" here refers to what? ... the house or the big iron gate? Please help! Thanks!
    To me, it refers to the gate. Logically, it's really hard to cover the whole house with zinc.


  3. vercalpe's Avatar

    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 3
    #3

    Re: "It" refers to what?

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    To me, it refers to the gate. Logically, it's really hard to cover the whole house with zinc.

    Thanks engee30! That is exactly the intention of the sentence. But if you look at the construction, it looks like the "it" refers to the house. What grammar rule should apply here?

  4. whitemoon's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Burmese
      • Home Country:
      • Myanmar
      • Current Location:
      • Myanmar

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 609
    #4

    Re: "It" refers to what?

    Quote Originally Posted by vercalpe View Post
    Thanks engee30! That is exactly the intention of the sentence. But if you look at the construction, it looks like the "it" refers to the house. What grammar rule should apply here?
    For second mention, we should use "the + noun".
    I have a cat and a dog. It is white. Which one do I refer to?
    The cat is white and the dog is black.


    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 1,571
    #5

    Re: "It" refers to what?

    ... But I have to cover the latter with ...

    To avoid repetition or ambiguity we can use 'the former' and 'the latter'.


    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 810
    #6

    Re: "It" refers to what?

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    Logically, it's really hard to cover the whole house with zinc.

    Absolutely.

    And bricks don't tend to rust anyway

Similar Threads

  1. what word "them" refers to?
    By KLPNO in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-Jul-2008, 20:47
  2. How to read 1900's and which period it refers to
    By sallyhoudongmei in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Nov-2007, 09:25
  3. What should the pronoun refers?
    By devilcoach in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16-Aug-2006, 13:11
  4. The following e-mail refers.
    By devilcoach in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 15-Jul-2006, 00:17
  5. I like "it" when ... (why do you use "it"?)
    By jose rocha in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Jun-2006, 23:23

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •