"petals" and "rays" (Englsih daisy)

Hi,

I have qestion about the flower "English daisy". I am confused about its "petals" and "rays". Could you take a look for me ? In the picture below, which part is the "petals" and which part is the "rays" ?

(I looked up "rays", according to the definition in the dictionary, which just make me think that "rays" are the "petals", and "petals" are "rays". I can not recognize the difference between them)

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by IMPSX-UE; 13-Feb-2009 at 04:54.

Re: "petals" and "rays" (Englsih daisy)

Quote Originally Posted by IMPSX-UE View Post
    Hi,

I have qestion about the flower "English daisy". I am confused about its "petals" and "rays". Could you take a look for me ? In the picture below, which part is the "petals" and which part is the "rays" ?

(I looked up "rays", according to the definition in the dictionary, which just make me think that "rays" are the "petals", and "petals" are "rays". I can not recognize the difference between them)

Thanks for your help.
    Hi IMPSX-UE,

"Aside from the standard blossom described above, there are other types of flowers, like composite flowers. The sunflower and daisy are two common examples. Composite flowers are so named because they are actually a composition of dozens of tiny flowers two types that are organized to look like a single flower! The center of a sunflower or a daisy is made up of scores of miniature flowers packed next to each other called disk flowers, while each petal of the sunflower or daisy is a ray flower. Together the ray and disk flowers form many common blossoms. Alternately, dandelions have heads that are made only of ray flowers, while thistles have heads composed only of disk flowers."

I hope that helps,

Matthew Balson
    producer of ESL videos

Re: "petals" and "rays" (Englsih daisy)

Quote Originally Posted by competence View Post
    Hi IMPSX-UE,

"Aside from the standard blossom described above, there are other types of flowers, like composite flowers. The sunflower and daisy are two
    Hi, competence,

Thank you for helping me again !

I think I am still confused about this. Here is a context I get - "The flower head - the center part of the plant - actually consists of many tiny, tightly packed complete flowers that stand upright on a flat disk. The whole arrangementy looks like a single, symmetrical flower, but it's actually a collection of hundreds of separate flowers. The petals - what look like petals - are actually larger flowers called rays that extend from the rim of the disk."

According to this context, and then let us take a look at the picture above. First, I guess we both know which part are "petals", and in this picture, all these white stuffs which extend from the rim of the disk (the whole yellow stuff) are called "petals", right ?

Okay, and then the context above says - " The petals - what look like petals - are actually larger flowers called rays that extend from the rim of the disk." This is where I am confused, I just think those while stuffs which extend from the rim of the disk are called "petals", but when I read this sentence, which just made me think that those white stuff are also called "rays". (It says "... called rays that entend from the rim of the disk) Of course, it is obviously impossible because they are actually two complete different parts of the English daisy.

Then could you tell me, in this picture, which part is actually the "rays" ?

Thank you very much.