How do we use this?

1. Present perfect tense for experience

We often use the present perfect tense to talk about experience from the past. We are not interested in when you did something. We only want to know if you did it:

I have seen ET.
    He has lived in Bangkok.
    Have you been there?
    We have never eaten caviar.pastpresentfuture !!!
    The action or state was in the past.In my head, I have a memory now.
    Connection with past:
    the event was in the past.
    Connection with present: in my head, now, I have a memory of the event; I know something about the event; I have experience of it.

refer to: English Grammar: Present Perfect Tense - Use | EnglishClub.com (use one "experience")

Can you explain more about "In my head, I have a memory now"? Aren't all of the past events in our memories?
    And Is "I don't believe what it has shown us" an experience or another use of present perfect?

Thanks

Re: How do we use this?

I would say the explanation they suggest doesn't help much to differentiate between the present perfect and the tenses it is contrasted with.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    I would say the explanation they suggest doesn't help much to differentiate between the present perfect and the tenses it is contrasted with.
    I agree, it is a very clumsy explanation. 'I have been an alcoholic.' In the past I was addicted to alcohol, this has a continuing effect on me. 'I have lost my keys', my keys are lost, I lost them at some time in the past, this has an effect on me now because I don't have my keys.

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I agree, it is a very clumsy explanation. 'I have been an alcoholic.' In the past I was addicted to alcohol, this has a continuing effect on me. 'I have lost my keys', my keys are lost, I lost them at some time in the past, this has an effect on me now because I don't have my keys.
    Hi Bhaisahab,
    Clocks will strike midnight in Moscow in 1 hour, and we are still sober.. I think I need a drink
    Chin-chin!

A Happy New Year!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Have one for me my friend. A happy new year to you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

By the way, I'm not really an alcoholic, at least I don't think so, it was just an attempt at explaining the PP. Cheers, Slainte Mhaith Agat, Jai Mathair Ji, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    By the way, I'm not really an alcoholic, at least I don't think so, it was just an attempt at explaining the PP. Cheers, Slainte Mhaith Agat, Jai Mathair Ji, etc.
    Yeah, I gave it up years ago, now I just taste.
    Last edited by Clark; 01-Jan-2009 at 08:00. Reason: Had too much wine last night.