How are these related to present

How are "1.I've read all of these
    2.I don't believe what it has shown
    3.The train has left the station" related to present?
    Haven't all of these already finished? Why do they use present perfect in these cases?

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: How are these related to present

"1.I've read all of these. As I have read them in the past, I now know what they say, what they are about.
    2.I don't believe what it has shown. I have seen what it shows, I didn't believe it then and I don't believe it now.
    3.The train has left the station. The train has left the station, it is not there now.

2.I don't believe what it has shown. I have seen what it shows, I didn't believe it then and I don't believe it now.

1.Why do we use "has shown" not showed

2.And if it's a long past like The train has left the station (not mention the time but it is very long time ago and we're not sure if it has come back once or not) what tense should we use?

Imagine a frame that can be extended into the past endlessly. What gets in this frame becomes part of the present situation and is expressed through the present perfect.

Can anyone explain more? I don't understand present perfect at all. I'm confused with some verbs which sometimes I think it can't be related to present for example show. What does the meaning of related to present? Does it mean I've seen, heard, etc once and it is still in my head? If so how do we use past simple isn't it also still in our memories? How can we differentiate the use of present perfect and past simple?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

Smile Re: How are these related to present

Quote Originally Posted by Supachoke View Post
    Can anyone explain more? I don't understand present perfect at all. I'm confused with some verbs which sometimes I think it can't be related to present for example show. What does the meaning of related to present? Does it mean I've seen, heard, etc once and it is still in my head? If so how do we use past simple isn't it also still in our memories?
    The present perfect, as well as the past simple, is in our mind. The thing is that through using the former, we feel that something is somewhat more recent to our consciousness; through using the latter, it seems that something that happened in the past is more distant in both time and consciousness to us. Sometimes, it's entirely up to you which tense you want to use to say what you want to say. That's what I feel about it.

Any other explanations?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

Quote Originally Posted by Supachoke View Post
    Any other explanations?
    Just a student.

I posted a similar topic a few days ago. Please check https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...nt-i-sent.html. I think it will be very useful.

Please pay special attention to the answers of 2006, a native speaker. Unfortunately, there was also a lot of interference in the topic that didn't add any value to the discussion.

As far as I understood, I've is extremely used in the BrE. As to the North American English, it seems that they prefer the simple past.

However, there are some situations in which the PP is mandatory either in North America or the UK as in I've known her for years! but, according to 2006, it also seems to be a matter of habit.

Just take a look at the topic suggested above and let me know what you think.

Just a student.
    Last edited by jctgf; 01-Jan-2009 at 23:16.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

The simple past may indeed, in many cases, convey the same meaning, but it is bland, uninteresting and unattractive when compared with the present perfect.