Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. Fame's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Sep 2005
    • Posts: 222
    #1

    Irregular plurals

    Could you please check if this is correct?

    Irregular plural forms like ‘geese’ and ‘formulae’ are said to contain a doube vowel.


    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 72
    #2

    Re: Irregular plurals

    Quote Originally Posted by Fame View Post
    Could you please check if this is correct?

    Irregular plural forms like ‘geese’ and ‘formulae’ are said to contain a doube vowel.
    Hi Fame,

    Some irregular plural nouns do have a double vowel like goose/geese and foot/feet. Some are irregular in other ways. For example other nouns change the vowel sound in the plural, but by adding a double vowel (man/men, mouse/mice). A few nouns still have their Old English plurals (ox/oxen and child/children) while still other nouns don't change from singular to plural (sheep/sheep, fish/fish); there are even a few nouns that use a plural form for the singular (headquarters/headquarters, species/species)!

    Irregular Noun Plurals has a more complete comprehensive list of irregular nouns.

    I hope that helps.

    Matthew Balson
    Competence home

  2. Fame's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Sep 2005
    • Posts: 222
    #3

    Re: Irregular plurals

    Quote Originally Posted by competence View Post
    Hi Fame,

    Some irregular plural nouns do have a double vowel like goose/geese and foot/feet. Some are irregular in other ways. For example other nouns change the vowel sound in the plural, but by adding a double vowel (man/men, mouse/mice). A few nouns still have their Old English plurals (ox/oxen and child/children) while still other nouns don't change from singular to plural (sheep/sheep, fish/fish); there are even a few nouns that use a plural form for the singular (headquarters/headquarters, species/species)!

    Irregular Noun Plurals has a more complete comprehensive list of irregular nouns.

    I hope that helps.

    Matthew Balson
    Competence home
    Thanks Matthew,

    but my question is:

    Irregular plural forms like ‘geese’ and ‘formulae’ are said to contain a ____________ ____________.

  3. Fame's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Sep 2005
    • Posts: 222
    #4

    Re: Irregular plurals

    Quote Originally Posted by Fame View Post
    Thanks Matthew,

    but my question is:

    Irregular plural forms like ‘geese’ and ‘formulae’ are said to contain a ____________ ____________.
    Can someone please help?

  4. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #5

    Re: Irregular plurals

    Quote Originally Posted by Fame View Post
    Thanks Matthew,

    but my question is:

    Irregular plural forms like ‘geese’ and ‘formulae’ are said to contain a ____________ ____________.
    The two words ("geese" and "formulae") have different roots. "Geese" is from Old English (or Danish), but "formulae" is from Latin. Their plurals are based on their languages of origin. I don't know what the two words are supposed to have in common.



Similar Threads

  1. Complete list of english irregular words.
    By Patrick in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 31-Dec-2009, 07:40
  2. Help ESL Learners Learn Irregular Verbs
    By RonBee in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 09-Mar-2009, 10:18
  3. [Grammar] Best ways to learn irregular verbs?
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-Oct-2008, 23:59
  4. Irregular Plurals
    By Emmanuel OA in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2004, 05:52
  5. Irregular Plurals
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Nov-2003, 12:41

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •