• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Exclamation would u plz explain my questions?

Hi, Dear TeacherIf you don't mind, please explain the following questions. Although I asked them before, I haven't still received logical answers. You are English native but we as students are non-native, and there are many questions that we don't know why they are wrong or correct, so I would be glad if you as a native English teacher patiently help me out .The following questions derived from a TOEFL book, but I dont know the real reason for each answer.--------------------------------------------------------------------------1- Many plants can be tricked into flowering earlier or later than normal ----------------the hours of light.a) by artificially adjustedb) by artificial adjustmentWhy is (a) correct and is (b) wrong? ------------------------------------------------------------------------2- When they discovered how soap works, it became possible to do synthetic detergents out of petroleum.Why is "possible to do" wrong here?------------------------------------------------------------------------3- Graphology has interested people as far back as the 2nd century.Why is "has interested" wrong?--------------------------------------------------------------------------4- Singing two operas at the Metropolitian, the popular opera star is awaiting word on her next performance?Why should we use "having sung" instead of "singing" ?--------------------------------------------------------------------------5- Agreement between parties that are intended to be legally binding-------a) are called contractsb) called contractsWhy not we use (b) instead of (a)?------------------------------------------------------------------------If you help me I will pray for you a lot.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: would u plz explain my questions?

1- Many plants can be tricked into flowering earlier or later than normal ----------------the hours of light.a) by artificially adjustedb) by artificial adjustmentWhy is (a) correct and is (b) wrong? -------------------------------------------------Neither of these are correct.
    - When they discovered how soap works, it became possible to do synthetic detergents out of petroleum.Why is "possible to do" wrong here? Confusion between 'do' and 'make'.
    Graphology has interested people as far back as the 2nd century.Why is "has interested" wrong? With 'has interested' you need to use 'since' instead of 'as far back as'.
    Singing two operas at the Metropolitian, the popular opera star is awaiting word on her next performance?Why should we use "having sung" instead of "singing"? Because it puts the action in the past with an effect on the present.
    Agreement between parties that are intended to be legally binding-------a) are called contractsb) called contractsWhy not we use (b) instead of (a)? Because it doesn't make sense without 'are'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Re: would u plz explain my questions?

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    1- Many plants can be tricked into flowering earlier or later than normal ----------------the hours of light.a) by artificially adjustedb) by artificial adjustmentWhy is (a) correct and is (b) wrong? -------------------------------------------------Neither of these are correct.
    - When they discovered how soap works, it became possible to do synthetic detergents out of petroleum.Why is "possible to do" wrong here? Confusion between 'do' and 'make'.
    Graphology has interested people as far back as the 2nd century.Why is "has interested" wrong? With 'has interested' you need to use 'since' instead of 'as far back as'.
    Singing two operas at the Metropolitian, the popular opera star is awaiting word on her next performance?Why should we use "having sung" instead of "singing"? Because it puts the action in the past with an effect on the present.
    Agreement between parties that are intended to be legally binding-------a) are called contractsb) called contractsWhy not we use (b) instead of (a)? Because it doesn't make sense without 'are'.
    Hi, bhaisahab

Thank you so much for your answers.

-I had a mistake while spelling "adjusting" in the first question, part (a). Would you please explain to me why (a) is correct, and (b) is wrong?

- Sometimes I see English speakers delet am, is, are which are followed by a "passive" or "progressive" verbs, is that due to the relative clause ?

Best regards