Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 5
    #1

    Could a surgeon be called 'Doctor' in USA?

    When I did the English test 'Jobs and Professions', the first two questions are:

    Question #: 1: A surgeon is called 'Doctor'.
    Correct answer: False

    Question #: 2: A surgeon is called 'Mr', 'Mrs', 'Miss' or 'Ms'.
    Correct answer: True

    I'm wondering that is this a common rule both in UK and USA, or just in UK?


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,886
    #2

    Re: Could a surgeon be called 'Doctor' in USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by PennyJ View Post
    When I did the English test 'Jobs and Professions', the first two questions are:

    Question #: 1: A surgeon is called 'Doctor'.
    Correct answer: False

    Question #: 2: A surgeon is called 'Mr', 'Mrs', 'Miss' or 'Ms'.
    Correct answer: True

    I'm wondering that is this a common rule both in UK and USA, or just in UK?
    A surgeon is a doctor specializing in surgery both in AmE and BrE. Both a male and female, a married and not married person may be a surgeon.

  2. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,947
    #3

    Re: Could a surgeon be called 'Doctor' in USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by PennyJ View Post
    When I did the English test 'Jobs and Professions', the first two questions are:

    Question #: 1: A surgeon is called 'Doctor'.
    Correct answer: False

    Question #: 2: A surgeon is called 'Mr', 'Mrs', 'Miss' or 'Ms'.
    Correct answer: True

    I'm wondering that is this a common rule both in UK and USA, or just in UK?
    Hi, PennyJ! Welcome to the forums!

    Someone is giving you misinformation! In the US a surgeon is regarded as a physician and is therefore called 'Doctor'. I would strongly believe that the same title would be observed in the UK but I'll let a native Briton speak to that point.

    I hope you did not receive a lower score because of your answers to questions 1 and 2! A surgeon is definitely addressed as 'Doctor' and not 'Mr', 'Mrs', 'Miss' or 'Ms'.

    What is the background of the test? Who authored the questions?

    Cheers,
    Amigo


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,886
    #4

    Re: Could a surgeon be called 'Doctor' in USA?

    "A surgeon is called 'Mr', 'Mrs', 'Miss' or 'Ms'"

    In my opinion, this is meant to express that being a surgeon is not a matter of sex and marital status.

    How do you address a surgeon in a post office without knowing what (s)he is by profession?

  3. Newbie
    Student or Learner

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 5
    #5

    Re: Could a surgeon be called 'Doctor' in USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Hi, PennyJ! Welcome to the forums!

    Someone is giving you misinformation! In the US a surgeon is regarded as a physician and is therefore called 'Doctor'. I would strongly believe that the same title would be observed in the UK but I'll let a native Briton speak to that point.

    I hope you did not receive a lower score because of your answers to questions 1 and 2! A surgeon is definitely addressed as 'Doctor' and not 'Mr', 'Mrs', 'Miss' or 'Ms'.

    What is the background of the test? Who authored the questions?

    Cheers,
    Amigo
    Thanks all you guys, svartnik and Amigo!

    And Amigo, thanks for your warm welcome and detailed answer!

    I made wrong answers to those two questions and so I didn't get a 100% score
    Here is the link to that test which is provided internally in this usingenglish.com: Log In - UsingEnglish.com

    You make answers, submit, then you'll get a result page on which you can check the right answers.

    Besides, I also checked the explanation of 'Doctor' from Wiki and found a paragraph related to my question, that's why I have to ask if this is a different way to title a surgeon in UK and USA:
    "In the United Kingdom the status and rank of consultant surgeons with the MRCS, titled "mister", and consultant physicians with the MRCP, titled "doctor", is identical. Surgeons in the USA and elsewhere may have the title "doctor"."

  4. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,947
    #6

    Re: Could a surgeon be called 'Doctor' in USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    "A surgeon is called 'Mr', 'Mrs', 'Miss' or 'Ms'"

    In my opinion, this is meant to express that being a surgeon is not a matter of sex and marital status.

    How do you address a surgeon in a post office without knowing what (s)he is by profession?
    svartnik, there is no way of knowing if an individual in a post office, grocery store, or coffee shop, for that matter, is a surgeon, teacher, or undertaker.
    We would not call someone 'Mr.', 'Mrs.', or 'Ms.' if we did not know their last name, would we? As a general form of social recognition, in casual encounters we might call a woman 'Miss' or say 'Sir' to a man. But we would almost never go to a surgeon's office and adress the physician as 'Mr.', 'Mrs.', 'Miss' or 'Ms.' We would always say 'Doctor'.

    The exam answers are incorrect and PennyJ should press the instructor for an explanation.

    Cheers,
    Amigo

  5. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,629
    #7

    Re: Could a surgeon be called 'Doctor' in USA?

    In the UK consultant surgeons are called Mr., Mrs., Miss, depending on sex and marital status.

  6. Newbie
    Student or Learner

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 5
    #8

    Re: Could a surgeon be called 'Doctor' in USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    In the UK consultant surgeons are called Mr., Mrs., Miss, depending on sex and marital status.
    Thanks bhaisahab for your help!
    But what is 'consultant surgeons'? Do they do operations or just like medicine doctors who do not do surgeries?


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,886
    #9

    Re: Could a surgeon be called 'Doctor' in USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by PennyJ View Post
    Thanks bhaisahab for your help!
    But what is 'consultant surgeons'? Do they do operations or just like medicine doctors who do not do surgeries?
    My father was a consultant surgeon before he retired. He did never touch a scalpel but he gave instructions to "bona fide" - for want of a better word - surgeons

  7. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,629
    #10

    Re: Could a surgeon be called 'Doctor' in USA?

    But what are 'consultant surgeons'? Do they do operations or are they just like medical doctors who do not do surgery?

    A consultant surgeon is someone who is head of surgery in a particular discipline, for example, cardio-vascular, as opposed to a junior surgeon, who would be one of the team of surgeons under a consultant. Yes they do perform operations. (at least in the UK and Ireland, I can't talk about anywhere else.
    Last edited by bhaisahab; 07-Jan-2009 at 08:44. Reason: Afterthought

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] What is called "syntactically correct"?
    By thedaffodils in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-Nov-2008, 23:49
  2. [General] Is it called Early Modern English?
    By thedaffodils in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2008, 16:30
  3. ! () ; : ! [ ] >< what it that called in english?
    By veronikad in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30-Sep-2008, 07:35
  4. What is it called in English?
    By sky753 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-Aug-2007, 11:58
  5. surgeon general
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Nov-2004, 20:39

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •