• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

compare it to

the performance of my notebook has been beaten by every other computer when I compared it to them.

the performance of my notebook was beaten by every other computer that I compared it.

the performance of my notebook was/has_been the worst among the compared laptops.

the performance of my notebook was/has_been the worst among the laptops compared.

the performance of my notebook was the worst among the laptops that were compared to it.

hi,
    please, is any of these fine?
    thanks
    Last edited by jctgf; 07-Jan-2009 at 21:13.

Re: compare it to

the performance of my notebook has been beaten by every other computer when I compared it to them.

the performance of my notebook was beaten by every other computer that I compared to it.

the performance of my notebook was/has_been the worst among the compared laptops. compare [T]

the performance of my notebook was/has_been the worst among the laptops compared. compare [T]

the performance of my notebook was the worst among the laptops that were compared to it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    the performance of my notebook was/has_been the worst among the laptops compared. compare [T]
    hi,
    please, I'd like to hear your comments about this one!
    thanks

Before you read my comments please bear in mind this:
    Over the years since I began to study English grammar in 2003 (self-study), I have formulated an idea -- probably a mistaken one in certain fields -- in my mind about how the English language works. I cannot quote reliable sources, and the argument I am going to offer to you may be unreasonable and based on false premisses. But even so, if we EFL speakers speak about this sentence, we might concoct interesting theories. Besides, while you are reading my post and while I am composing it, we both practise English, not to mention other readers. And this is good news!

The performance of my notebook was/has_been the worst among the laptops compared.

(C)ompared is a verbal, a participle, in predicative position. It modifies laptops. (C)ompare being a transitive verb (it takes an object to what we compare something), the corresponding participle form cannot post-modify laptops without an object. True, verbals do not show all the characteristics of verbs, still the object is missing: compared to what?

Study this:

"among * compared - Google Search

I hope this helps.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

Hi,

I am not sure but I think I've already seen this kind of construction many times.

Do you think it would be fine if I said The performance of my notebook was the worst among the laptops compared to it. ?

I searched Google for "among the samples compared" (just a thing that came to my mind) and see what I found:

"among the samples compared" - Google Scholar

This result page shows many entries in which 'compared' appears the way we are talking about.

Most of the links seem to have a problem and won't take us anywhere. However, Http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...TRY=1&SRETRY=0 will take us to an article with an example very similar to the one that we are discussing. Please, check the piece of text at the end of the first paragraph.

Let me know you opinion, please. Now, I am really confused.

Thanks.

The performance of my notebook was the worst among the laptops compared to it. IT is

There was not any worse among the laptops (that were) compared to mine.

whiz deletion

Does scholarly mean grammarian?
    I am a scholar too (not grammarian, though).
    You do not want to see my writings in my mothertongue.

No sorry, I am a scientist. Scholar (in humanities) and scientist are two sets of which neither is subset of the other, right?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

I also would like to hear the opinion of a native-speaker.
    thanks.