• Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

No concern of...

Hi!

Two men talk and the first one one says that he sacrificed a lot for the second one and that he is in trouble right now. The second one starts laugh and answers to him, "It's no concern of yours truly'.

I'm wondering what it means. Does it reffers to "It doesn't prove your faith" or something like that? I hope you'll help me figure it out :)

Re: No concern of...

Quote Originally Posted by bud-bar View Post
    Hi!

Two men talk and the first one one says that he sacrificed a lot for the second one and that he is in trouble right now. The second one starts laugh and answers to him, "It's no concern of yours truly'.

I'm wondering what it means. Does it reffers to "It doesn't prove your faith" or something like that? I hope you'll help me figure it out :)
    He probably said 'It's no concern of mine'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

No, he doesn't but I made a mistake. He Said, 'It's no of concern to yours truly'...

Quote Originally Posted by bud-bar View Post
    No, he doesn't but I made a mistake. He Said, 'It's no of concern to yours truly'...
    It's hard to say what he actually meant because his grammar leaves a lot to be desired.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    It's hard to say what he actually meant because his grammar leaves a lot to be desired.
    It's not so much grammar as an idiom that grew out of the fashion of radio disc jockeys to sign off 'Tune in next week to hear more of your favourites played by yours truly Fred Nerk' (or whatever his name was); so 'yours truly' has come to mean 'me' (with the possible implication of a certain insincerity or false chumminess).

But the first version made more sense - 'It's no concern of yours truly'. (Possibly a comma could be read into it, so that the speaker is saying 'keep your nose out of other people's business': It's no concern of yours, truly. I think this is unlikely, but it's possible.)

If you're sure of the new version, there could be a typo: 'It's not of concern...'. But that typo would change the vowel sound, so it's more likely to be wrongly transcribed than misheard

b

If 'yours truly' is being used as a synonym for 'me', it would mean that it is none of the speaker's business.
    (Yours truly = signature of a letter = the person speaking)

Thanks, Bobk. Of course, now I remember hearing this phrase, normally used as a complementary clause in correspondence, in a conversation, exactly in the meaning you specify. At that time I thought it was individual application, but it turns out the phrase was in common use.
    A solution always seems so obvious when somebody else has pointed it out to you. You just wonder how come that you didn't think of it yourself.

Thanks for this question, Bud-bar.