Student or Learner
My hands smell of fish.
Can I write "My hands smell fish odour".
What is "of fish"?
It should not be read as "to smell - of fish" but "to smell of/like - fish":
"My hands smell fish odour" doesn't mean that they smell of fish odour but that they physically have the ability to smell fish odour, as one would do with one's nose.
smell: Definition, Synonyms from Answers.com
Hope this helps
- To use the sense of smell; perceive the scent of something.
- To have or emit an odor: “The breeze smelled exactly like Vouvray—flowery, with a hint of mothballs underneath” (Anne Tyler).
- To be suggestive; have a touch of something: a cave that smells of terror.
- To have or emit an unpleasant odor; stink: This closet smells.
- To appear to be dishonest; suggest evil or corruption.