1. Nathan Scott

Question "Archly"

Which of the following sentences is good english (I know that the style them is stilted).

She was somewhat baffled, yet not offended – just as there wasn’t the least bit of archliness in her demeanor the moment she made that remark.

She was somewhat baffled, yet not offended – just as there wasn’t the least bit of archiness in her demeanor the moment she made that remark.

She was somewhat baffled, yet not offended – just as there wasn’t the least bit of archness in her demeanor the moment she made that remark.

Request for those who are in possession of the Oxford English Dictionary: could you please make a low-res scan of the article treating about this word and PM it to me?

Regards,

Nathan
    Last edited by Anglika; 10-Jan-2009 at 20:24.

Re: "Archly"

Welcome to the forums. If you register, then people can contact you by Personal Message.

Also, please check this link: https://www.usingenglish.com/online-safety.html

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Scott View Post
    Which of the following sentences is good english (I know that the style them is stilted).

She was somewhat baffled, yet not offended – just as there wasn’t the least bit of archliness archness in her demeanor the moment she made that remark.

She was somewhat baffled, yet not offended – just as there wasn’t the least bit of archiness archness in her demeanor the moment she made that remark.

She was somewhat baffled, yet not offended – just as there wasn’t the least bit of archness in her demeanor the moment she made that remark.

Request for those who are in possession of the Oxford English Dictionary: could you please make a low-res scan of the article treating about this word and PM it to me?

Regards,

Nathan
    AskOxford: arch<sup>2</sup>

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: "Archly"

There are plenty of online dictionaries that can prove useful.