1. Unregistered

relinquish

Is the use of `relinquish` correct? Does this make sense for asking an increase in the sallary?

...., I relinquish my desire to maintain current figure but want to have at least 3.000 dollars.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: relinquish

It doesn't work for me. How about:
    I am prepared to accept less than I am currently earning, though not less than 3,000 USD.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

I’m not a teacher.

Hi….

There are a few meanings of “relinquish” as well as a few synonyms of it. In addition there are a few usages of “relinquish” in several comman sentences.

relinquish(v) =

1. To retire from; give up or abandon.
    2. To put aside or desist from (something practiced, professed, or intended).
    3. To let go; surrender.
    4. To cease holding physically; release: relinquish a grip.

relinquish, yield, resign, abandon, surrender, cede, waive, renounce. These verbs mean letting something go or giving something up. Relinquish, the least specific, may connote regret: can't relinquish the idea.

The consultancy is expected to be headed by Rover UK's managing director Kevin Morley, who is thought unlikely to relinquish his current position within the company.
    But they flatly refused to relinquish their grip on power.
    He relinquished his business interests to his children.
    When the former impresario and agent assumed office as the opera's secretary general, he considered it would be only proper to relinquish control of his business interests
    I have wanted to relinquish the chairman's job since Brian Little left.
    Even the Church will today readily admit this, while remaining loath to relinquish many of the benefits obtained by the deception.
    Due to my teaching and training commitments and because I have become involved in the development of Medau in new areas of the country, I have decided to relinquish my position as Honorary Treasurer as from 1st January, 1980.

Regards.

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Is the use of `relinquish` correct? Does this make sense for asking an increase in the sallary?

...., I relinquish my desire to maintain current figure but want to have at least 3.000 dollars.
    I am not a teacher.

Relinquish may be gramatically correct, but to me it has a component of regret, remorse, unwillinglessness to it. In a situation where someone is negotiating a salary, I feel a more positive attitude and word are necessary.

relinquish, give up
    willing to accept, is not giving up.