Results 1 to 8 of 8

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 150
    #1

    Question questions

    Hi everybody,

    I have a few questions:

    1. Don't you have any interesting book? Is it correct?

    2. Can you help somehow? or Can you somehow help?

    3.difference: Can I tell you anything? / Can I tell you something?

    Thank you very much!!!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 1,032
    #2

    Re: questions

    Quote Originally Posted by kukinecka View Post
    Hi everybody,

    I have a few questions:

    1. Don't you have any interesting book? Is it correct?

    2. Can you help somehow? or Can you somehow help?

    3.difference: Can I tell you anything? / Can I tell you something?

    Thank you very much!!!
    Not a teacher.

    1- Don't you have any interesting books? or Don't you have an interesting book?

    2-Can you help somehow? is correct.

    3-Can I tell you anything? Could indicate that the person asking thinks that the other person will not believe anything he/she is being told.

    -Can I tell you something? Means that they just want to convey some information.


    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 150
    #3

    Question Re: questions

    so is it a mistake to use: Don't you have any interesting book?

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,630
    #4

    Re: questions

    Yes, you could say, however, "Don't you have an interesting book?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 1,032
    #5

    Re: questions

    Quote Originally Posted by kukinecka View Post
    so is it a mistake to use: Don't you have any interesting book?
    That's correct, it's a mistake.

  2. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #6

    Cool Re: questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Searching for language View Post
    That's correct, it's a mistake.
    No, it's not.
    You can use any with singular countable nouns, especially in negative sentences, when you want to imply doubt about a particular situation:

    Don't you have any interesting book? I thought you had. You read so much.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 1,032
    #7

    Re: questions

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    No, it's not.
    You can use any with singular countable nouns, especially in negative sentences, when you want to imply doubt about a particular situation:

    Don't you have any interesting book? I thought you had. You read so much.
    Sorry, yes, you are right. It would be very emphatic.

  3. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #8

    Thumbs up Re: questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Searching for language View Post
    Sorry, yes, you are right. It would be very emphatic.
    Yes, it would.

Similar Threads

  1. Rules for questions using how long, for and from
    By scullion5 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26-May-2008, 22:23
  2. Passive
    By cheap cigarette in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-May-2007, 20:29
  3. Please, please answer the questions!
    By asad hussain in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 14-Jan-2007, 13:53
  4. Please answer the questions!
    By asad hussain in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Jan-2007, 01:51
  5. Proofread plus long list of questions
    By HaraKiriBlade in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-Jun-2005, 14:46

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •