"engage in"

I also engaged in research about synthesis and study the acid-generation efficiency of novel Sulfonium photoacid generators(PAG)which are used in 248nm photoresists. I have synthesized six kinds of sulfonium PAGs, evaluated the acid-generation efficiency by using rhodamine B and studiedsolvent effect on the acid-generation efficiency by fluorescence method. This research resulted in a journal paper .

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: "engage in"

If you're asking whether the "engaged in research" is acceptable, it is. :) But then to make the tenses consistent, you should say "and studied the acid-generation efficiency of novel Sulfonium photoacid generators (PAG) used in ...." Subsequently you use "studied" too often. May I suggest "investigated the solvent effect on the acid-generation efficiency by the fluorescence method." I suggest the extra articles, but only if they're not usually omitted in your field.

You could also say "conducted research" or "conducted/carried out a study" (but not "engaged in a study") to avoid repetition if you have worked on several topics.

If I may make a further suggestion: are you authorized to say where it was published at the end? "This research has been published in XXXXX, XXXX, 200X."
    Last edited by abaka; 14-Jan-2009 at 06:45.