• Post Thanks / Like

sense of commitment

Hi, there,

I hope someone could have a look for me at this "sense of commitment" in the context below. What is the "sense of commitment" ? Could you tell me more about it?

Thanks a lot !

Professor: Before you undertake a career in the arts, there are a number of factors to consider. Whether your goal is to be an actor or an animator, an saxophonist or a sculptor, talent is an essential consideration. But talent alone won't guarantee a successful career in the arts, you also need training, experience, and self-discipline. Most importantly, however, you should realize that a career in the arts requires a personal sense of commitment - a calling - because art does have a history of insecure employment. A lot artists find it difficult - even impossible - to live on the money they make from their arts. Most have to supplement their income by teaching, by working behind the scenes, or ... ...

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: sense of commitment

Quote Originally Posted by IMPSX-UE View Post
    Hi, there,

I hope someone could have a look for me at this "sense of commitment" in the context below. What is the "sense of commitment" ? Could you tell me more about it?

Thanks a lot !

Professor: Before you undertake a career in the arts, there are a number of factors to consider. Whether your goal is to be an actor or an animator, an saxophonist or a sculptor, talent is an essential consideration. But talent alone won't guarantee a successful career in the arts, you also need training, experience, and self-discipline. Most importantly, however, you should realize that a career in the arts requires a personal sense of commitment - a calling - because art does have a history of insecure employment. A lot artists find it difficult - even impossible - to live on the money they make from their arts. Most have to supplement their income by teaching, by working behind the scenes, or ... ...
    You believe in what you (like to) do.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

• Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: sense of commitment

Most importantly, however, you should realize that a career in the arts requires a personal sense of commitment - a calling - because art does have a history of insecure employment.

Hi!! I got your message so I took a quick look at your question. I will try to explain it more clearly.

A sense of commitment is refering to the feeling or self-imposed dedication that people require to be an artist. As the quote states...you don't make much money from being an artist so you need another reason to be an artist.

There is a hint in the quote as well...it says

a personal sense of commitment - a CALLING-...

what is a calling? A calling is this strong, force or desire to do something. It is an unexplained desire to do something. I myself have a calling for helping people learn English. I like doing it...even if it doesn't pay well...I have a personal sense of committment to help others learn.

I guess I am an artist..haha.

Does that make more sense?

A personal sense of committment is the feeling that someone has, that makes them do something (even if they don't get something like money in return).

Let me know if you need more help.

Have a great day!
    Diana
    http://www.helping-you-learn-english.com
    Last edited by English-coach; 25-Jan-2009 at 13:02.