• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Re: The 10 Most Hated English Phrases

I think footballers are responsible for a lot of the most hated phrases in English. And of those, David Beckham must be responsible for at least half. "At the end of the day" is easily the most overused phrase in post-match interviews. "Y'know" is another one that's extremely irritating.

2. Senior Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Athletes always say the same things over and over, in every team sport.

The Sports Cliche List - sports cliches, jargon, and lingo

And their cliches spread into the corporate world, the most popular team sport of all.

List of sports clichés - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the other hand, the hated-list phrases are probably the ones that originate in business and then pass over to sports.

3. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Quote Originally Posted by I'm With Stupid View Post
    I think footballers are responsible for a lot of the most hated phrases in English. And of those, David Beckham must be responsible for at least half. "At the end of the day" is easily the most overused phrase in post-match interviews. "Y'know" is another one that's extremely irritating.
    I assume it's his media training coming through when he uses things like 'but it wasn't to be' when explaining why another campaign has fizzled out in the quarter finals and trying to make it seem like fate rather than anything blameworthy.

Key Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I assume it's his media training coming through when he uses things like 'but it wasn't to be' when explaining why another campaign has fizzled out in the quarter finals and trying to make it seem like fate rather than anything blameworthy.
    I don't know much about David Beckham other than what I read in Posh Spice's autobiography (hey, it was on the discount table), and I know zilch about soccer (European football), but the whole cult of blamelessness is one of my pet peeves. Maybe it started with the children of the 1980s, who grew up in the "feel good" era where everyone won some sort of prize in a contest, there were no "losers." Suddenly at the Academy Awards the presenters weren't allowed to say "...and the winner is", they had to say "...and the award goes to" to avoid any implication of winners versus losers. President Clinton used every possible turn of the phrase to avoid admitting that he'd done the nasty with Monica Lewinsky.

I'm so like ranting, I'd better just stop and say WHATever and be all like "who cares?"

Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    I don't know much about David Beckham other than what I read in Posh Spice's autobiography (hey, it was on the discount table), and I know zilch about soccer (European football), but the whole cult of blamelessness is one of my pet peeves. Maybe it started with the children of the 1980s, who grew up in the "feel good" era where everyone won some sort of prize in a contest, there were no "losers." Suddenly at the Academy Awards the presenters weren't allowed to say "...and the winner is", they had to say "...and the award goes to" to avoid any implication of winners versus losers. President Clinton used every possible turn of the phrase to avoid admitting that he'd done the nasty with Monica Lewinsky.

I'm so like ranting, I'd better just stop and say WHATever and be all like "who cares?"
    Who cares what President Clinton did with/to Monica Lewinsky, what difference does it make to what kind of a president he was?
    Exept maybe for the loony christian right wing.

Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I have a couple more. (They didn't make the top ten, but each deserves an honorable mention.) Add to the list of overused, outworn expressions:
    level playing field
    make a difference
    Both are either shorthand for something else or ways to avoid saying what you really mean. (The reader or listener has to decide which is which.)

Key Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Who cares what President Clinton did with/to Monica Lewinsky, what difference does it make to what kind of a president he was?
    Exept maybe for the loony christian right wing.
    I never said it made any sort of impact on his presidency; my point was that he manipulated the English language while on the witness stand in order to make his participation in the matter as ambiguous as possible.

Try and...

Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

If you are willing to spare the money for it you can get a free gift. (A lot of "free gifts" come with subscriptions.) Of course, a free gift is neither free nor a gift.

Angry Re: The 10 Most Hated English Phrases

Real quick.

Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last