Page 4 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last

Re: The 10 Most Hated English Phrases

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    I have a couple more. (They didn't make the top ten, but each deserves an honorable mention.) Add to the list of overused, outworn expressions:
    level playing field
    make a difference
    Both are either shorthand for something else or ways to avoid saying what you really mean. (The reader or listener has to decide which is which.)

right...... make a difference is also common

Like, you know, that's just a word, not a phrase, you know. Like, you know?

Some relief in some quarters: 'send a clear message to' no longer assaults the ears.

I'd like to nominate "Stay the course" as one of the most hated English phrases.

Looks like the U.S. doesn't have the cash to "stay the course."

Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand

What really fascinates me is how people can summon up the energy to feel so passionately about these phrases. Almost linguist's blog I read has addressed these Orwellian hate-lists at least once, but still the fervid antipathy continues. To every person who rages that "free gift" is tautologically and pleonastically redundant, or that people are using "ironically" wrongly, I say, celebrate the changes. Words mean what most who use them say they do. I imagine that there might once have been lists contemning the use of "nice" to mean anything other than "stupid", or howling in outrage at the use of "woman" to mean a female of our species. Except when deliberately used to obfuscate, as in "collateral damage", I can no longer share the sense of aggravation these lists generate among some. They're still fun to read, though, as are the responses they provoke.

I hate it when anybody starts a sentence with personally. Is the writer saying he is stating his opinion? Well, of course it's his opinion. Just say what you think.

I've never heard that native speakers hate this phrase, I always use it as an adverb. But even so, I personally agree with you.

Using 'personally' is not stating the obvious. It is a device used to prevent counter argument on that point. You have the right to hold any opinion you wish, thus you are emphasing it is just your opinion and not a fact.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by stuartnz View Post
    To every person who rages that "free gift" is tautologically and pleonastically redundant, or that people are using "ironically" wrongly, I say, celebrate the changes. Words mean what most who use them say they do. I imagine that there might once have been lists contemning the use of "nice" to mean anything other than "stupid", or howling in outrage at the use of "woman" to mean a female of our species. Except when deliberately used to obfuscate, as in "collateral damage", I can no longer share the sense of aggravation these lists generate among some.
    Hi stuartnz,

Your argument here is well-taken.

At the same time, I think that the strong reactions against these common usages is due not only to their triteness (through overuse), but also to the fact that people who do use these (worn out) phrases are not so much thinking about what they are saying as they are "parroting" a common phrase they've heard before.

Language without thought behind it is "dead on arrival." Rather than bringing any life to the language, generally speaking, these common phrases often serve to kill any meaning that may have been intended.

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

If you are willing to spare the money for it you can get a free gift. (A lot of "free gifts" come with subscriptions.) Of course, a free gift is neither free nor a gift.

Does anyone else find "for free" annoying.

Surely something is "free" or "for nothing", how can I get "An extra 10% for free"?

Cool Re: The 10 Most Hated English Phrases

There is one phrase that stands out in this list for me and it is "with all due respect". Why? It is the most irritating thing to hear because you know exactly what is coming next.

Example:
    With all due respect, your opinion really doesn't matter here.

Do people really think that "with all due respect" makes what they are about to say any more comforting? I say toss the euphemistic attitude... say what you have to say.

Another one I think should be added is: "Frankly speaking".

Page 4 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last