1. vinodbamb

never since

What is the difference between never since and ever since. Can any one give example of each one. Thanks in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Cool Re: never since

Quote Originally Posted by vinodbamb View Post
    What is the difference between never since and ever since. Can any one give example of each one. Thanks in advance.
    Hi,

I am not 100% sure but it is a little strange to have never and since together. Never implies an absolute lack of something. I have never smoked a cigarette...means...never ever in my life. (You can put Never and Ever together).

Since...implies that something exists or is done starting at a certain point in time. (this contradicts the meaning of never).

You CAN on the other hand have ever since together. That means from a certain point in time you have done something new or something new exisits.

For example: Ever since I started working out at the gym, I feel like I have more energy.

Ever since I stopped smoking, I can't stop coughing.

Ever since [something changes] [something else occurs because of the change]

I hope that helps you understand the two better. If you have a specifc example of never and since together...please post it. I might be forgetting some specific form of context..but I am pretty sure they can't go together.

Happy learning.
    Diana
    http://www.helping-you-learn-english.com

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: never since

I have no problem with 'never since' - the negative aspect of 'never' applies to the verb that follows the 'since'. To take Diana's example:

'Ever since I stopped smoking, I can't stop coughing.'
    =>
    'Never, since I gave up smoking, have I been able to stop coughing.'

With that word order you need the commas. But it could just as well be this:

'I gave up smoking five years ago. But I've never since been able to stop coughing.'

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Lithuanian
      • Home Country:
      • Lithuania
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by English-coach View Post
    Hi,

I am not 100% sure but it is a little strange to have never and since together. Never implies an absolute lack of something. I have never smoked a cigarette...means...never ever in my life. (You can put Never and Ever together).

Since...implies that something exists or is done starting at a certain point in time. (this contradicts the meaning of never).

You CAN on the other hand have ever since together. That means from a certain point in time you have done something new or something new exisits.

For example: Ever since I started working out at the gym, I feel like I have more energy.

Ever since I stopped smoking, I can't stop coughing.

Ever since [something changes] [something else occurs because of the change]

I hope that helps you understand the two better. If you have a specifc example of never and since together...please post it. I might be forgetting some specific form of context..but I am pretty sure they can't go together.

Happy learning.
    Diana
    LEARN ENGLISH BY USING IT: ANSWERS & MOTIVATION FOR ANY ENGLISH LEARNER
    Hello there,

Is it possible to use "never since" in this context:

" He went to the US last year, and I have never seen him since."

Thank you for your comments.

Darijus

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Darijus View Post
    Hello there,

Is it possible to use "never since" in this context:

" He went to the US last year, and I have never seen him since."

Thank you for your comments.

Darijus
    In that sense YES because you are using HAVE...(the present perfect) and Never is not beside since.

I guess what I ment to say before is that you can't form a sentence with "Never since" together...they need to be separated...like Bobk suggests. "Ever since" on the other hand can be used together...side by side. Ever since I started writing... .

:)
    Diana