to...or ....ing?

Are verbs using ing form more specific? I mean trying to express more specific situations…I know that some verbs cannot be inflected with ing…but what would be the difference between:
    I like playing soccer and I like to play soccer …accepting that after like we could place ing.

Re: to...or ....ing?

Quote Originally Posted by evelio View Post
    Are verbs using ing form more specific? I mean trying to express more specific situations…I know that some verbs cannot be inflected with ing…but what would be the difference between:
    I like playing soccer and I like to play soccer …accepting that after like we could place ing.
    Bad news:
    There are verbs that can take either an infinitive or a gerund, others can be followed by the infinitive or the gerund only.

I like to play football. -- It puts the roses back on my cheeks, so I find it beneficial to my health.
    I like playing.... I enjoy the activity

Do you like to live here? -- Do you like the idea?
    Do you like living here? -- Do you enjoy it?

Thanks, so may I assume that in those cases the use of the ing means enjoyment for the speaker? Or a pleasant activity or situation? These are the kinds of things we don’t learn in a language school…thanks…

In British English, "like + -ing" is used mostly to talk about enjoyment, and "like + infinitive" mostly talk about choices and habits. In American English, "like + infinitive" is common in both senses.

Examples:
    - I like climbing mountains. (more typically GB)
    - I like to climb mountaints. (more typically US)
    - When I'm pouring tea I like to put the milk in first. (GB/US)

I hope this helps.