Red face what to put after condense ?

Hello my name is Yettel and I need to ask you about the verb condense. I was making a Toefl test and I was asked to put the right word after condense.
    Here is the sentence:
    Fogs was caused by cooling of air until its water vapor condenses to form microscopic waste droplets or incrystals.

Why I can used: forming instead of to form ?
    Thank you, Yettel Santana

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: what to put after condense ?

Quote Originally Posted by yettelsantana View Post
    Hello my name is Yettel and I need to ask you about the verb condense. I was making a Toefl test and I was asked to put the right word after condense.
    Here is the sentence:
    Fogs was caused by cooling of air until its water vapor condenses to form microscopic waste droplets or incrystals.

Why I can used: forming instead of to form ?
    Thank you, Yettel Santana
    "Condenses to form" is the standard scientific idiom when the intent is to induce fog or equivalently to form crystals.

"As it cools, the water vapor it carries condenses, forming clouds and thunderstorms." Here there is a natural process. The air condenses, and then clouds form.

But, to be honest, the distinction is a very fine one, and because the start of your sentence is garbled, I'm not really sure what the correct answer is. Should the sentence read "Fogs are caused by the cooling of air" (natural) or "Fogs are induced by cooling air"/"A fog was induced by cooling air" (artificial)?
    Last edited by abaka; 19-Jan-2009 at 20:55.