• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

father's love... and may vs could

I understood that the love of a father means father's love on someone.

I was reading Wren and Martin book today. In it, I found father's love may mean either 'a father's love of his child' or 'a child love of his father'. Could anyone please make me understand the meanings of both those phrases?

Also, Instead of the bold-ed part 'may mean' in the above sentence, can I put 'Could mean'? What is the difference between than? Could indicates a stronger possibility than does may, innit?

Thanks,
    Kiran

Re: father's love... and may vs could

Quote Originally Posted by kiranlegend View Post
    I understood that the love of a father means father's love on someone.

I was reading Wren and Martin book today. In it, I found father's love may mean either 'a father's love of his child' or 'a child love of his father'. Could anyone please make me understand the meanings of both those phrases?

Also, Instead of the bold-ed part 'may mean' in the above sentence, can I put 'Could mean'? What is the difference between than? Could indicates a stronger possibility than does may, innit????

Thanks,
    Kiran
    A father's love indicates a father's love of/for his children. I have never met it as meaning a child's love for his/her parent.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Thanks Anglika.

I use wordweb. In it, I have come across a word innit which means isn't it. I don't know if it is correct to use that word. Is it wrong?

Even I didn't get any clue as to how the 2nd meaning is deductible from the phrase. But it is given in the standard book Wren and Martin book.. that is the reason why I am unable to discard it..

:(

Also please explain the difference between may and could.. in terms of its usages
    Last edited by kiranlegend; 21-Jan-2009 at 22:05.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

I use wordweb. In it, I have come across a word innit which means isn't it. I don't know if it is correct to use that word. Is it wrong?

'Innit' is very poor English whether spoken or written and should definitely be avoided by learners.

Also please explain the difference between may and could.. in terms of its usages.

'You may borrow the car.' This is giving you permission to borrow the car. You have asked to borrow the car.
    'You could borrow the car.' This has the effect of a suggestion. 'If you need to get there quickly you could borrow the car'.