1. Unregistered

i or me, she or her?

I am smarter than her, or I am smarter than she? She is smarter than I, or She is smarter than me? I think that i am smarter than her and she is smarter than me. No doubt a really dumb question,but can someone send a message with the answer to fugitivoyanqui@yahoo.com?

Re: i or me, she or her?

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am smarter than her, or I am smarter than she? She is smarter than I, or She is smarter than me? I think that i am smarter than her and she is smarter than me. No doubt a really dumb question,but can someone send a message with the answer to fugitivoyanqui@yahoo.com?
    the object of the preposition (than) in
    'He is smarter than me' is 'me,' is the accusative form of the singular first person.

In 'He is smarter than I (am)', than is a conjunction linking together the two clauses.

Both I or me work, IMHO. By analogy with it, she and her is correct too.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Using me, her, them etc. Can we omit "than"?

I am smarter her.
    He is smarter me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by greegorush View Post
    Using me, her, them etc. Can we omit "than"?

I am smarter her.
    He is smarter me.
    No. The remnants of the old case system are so weak that with everything except a subject, possessive, or object a preposition or a conjunction is always necessary.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

I learned english in the '50s, and to use "I am smarter than her" would have been a terrible, terrible mistake. When did this become proper language?

I would say "I am smarter than her dog or her sister."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Searching for language View Post
    I learned english in the '50s, and to use "I am smarter than her" would have been a terrible, terrible mistake. When did this become proper language?

I would say "I am smarter than her dog or her sister."
    I too went to school in the fifties, in London, and it's true to say that we were taught to say 'I am smarter than she (is)'. For many years now it has become more usual for people to say, 'I am smarter than her'. Inelegant as it is.
    Last edited by bhaisahab; 24-Jan-2009 at 13:23. Reason: correction of too

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I to went to school in the fifties, in London, and it's true to say that we were taught to say 'I am smarter than she (is)'. For many years now it has become more usual for people to say, 'I am smarter than her'. Inelegant as it is.
    So, if we are using the old "elegant" form, does that make you and me smarter than them???????

Quote Originally Posted by Searching for language View Post
    So, if we are using the old "elegant" form, does that make you and me smarter than them???????
    prepositions are usually followed by object pronouns

They've always been very friendly towards me. -- towards I?
    There's a phone message for you. -- for he?
    I was talking about them. -- about they?
    written by them -- written by they?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

You may find this usage note in www.m-w.com interesting:
    Main Entry: 2than Function: preposition Date: 1560 : in comparison with <you are older than me>
    usage After 200 years of innocent if occasional use, the preposition than was called into question by 18th century grammarians. Some 200 years of elaborate reasoning have led to these present-day inconsistent conclusions: than whom is standard but clumsy <T. S. Eliot, than whom nobody could have been more insularly English Anthony Burgess>; than me may be acceptable in speech <a man no mightier than thyself or me Shakespeare> <why should a man be better than me because he's richer than me William Faulkner, in a talk to students>; than followed by a third-person objective pronoun (her, him, them) is usually frowned upon. Surveyed opinion tends to agree with these conclusions. Our evidence shows that than is used as a conjunction more commonly than as a preposition, that than whom is chiefly limited to writing, and that me is more common after the preposition than the third-person objective pronouns. In short, you can use than either as a conjunction or as a preposition.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

I am certainly aware of the fact that language changes all the time. It is interesting that's for sure. Seeing how German has changed in the last 50 years is not only interesting, but in some ways alarming. English has become so common.In the "Neue Deutsche Rechtschreibung" the new German way of writing there are thousands of words to which they add a different ending or prefix, and it is a new German word.

This type of change used to take decades or even centuries. I think it is the speed of communication and travel that has made this change so fast. Is it good? I have no idea, but I'm glad that I speak both languages so I have no problem understanding either way!