Results 1 to 10 of 10

    • Join Date: Dec 2008
    • Posts: 146
    #1

    Talking insecurity

    This is a part of a lecture in a communications class.

    Researchers study television to understand its effects on viewers and to measures its effectiveness in selling products. Much of the reserch on TV audiences is market research, paid for by corporations with something to sell. Let me repeat: research on television is funded largely by advertisers. ... ....

    Television is the most effective marketing tool ever created. Many advertisements apply basic psychology by sort of appealing to our insecurities and desires. (Hello, everybody! Could you have a look for me at this "insecurities" ? I found two definitions for this word in the dictionary: 1.lack of confidence or assurance. 2.state of being unsafe. I can not figure out that which definition is better for this case here. What is your opinion about the meaning of "insecurities" here? Thank you very much! ) Ads convince us that the things we once thought were luxuries are now necessities. Televison is highly skilled at creating images of affluence, not just in the ads, but in the programs as well. ... ...

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 902
    #2

    Re: insecurity

    Quote Originally Posted by IMPSX-UE View Post
    This is a part of a lecture in a communications class.

    Researchers study television to understand its effects on viewers and to measures its effectiveness in selling products. Much of the reserch on TV audiences is market research, paid for by corporations with something to sell. Let me repeat: research on television is funded largely by advertisers. ... ....

    Television is the most effective marketing tool ever created. Many advertisements apply basic psychology by sort of appealing to our insecurities and desires. (Hello, everybody! Could you have a look for me at this "insecurities" ? I found two definitions for this word in the dictionary: 1.lack of confidence or assurance. 2.state of being unsafe. I can not figure out that which definition is better for this case here. What is your opinion about the meaning of "insecurities" here? Thank you very much! ) Ads convince us that the things we once thought were luxuries are now necessities. Televison is highly skilled at creating images of affluence, not just in the ads, but in the programs as well. ... ...
    "Many advertisements appeal to what we fear or want." <-- Useful exercise, isn't it? Usually half the words and two thirds of the letters can be dropped, and the meaning becomes all the more clear. Note the logic change: "and" is really "or".

    Categories (1), fashion and cosmetics, for example, and (2), home security products, are both very common. Having no confidence, we fear our ugliness; wanting safety, we fear unknown danger. So insecure of us! Do you agree?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,146
    #3

    Re: insecurity

    Quote Originally Posted by IMPSX-UE View Post
    Television is the most effective marketing tool ever created. Many advertisements apply basic psychology by sort of appealing to our insecurities and desires.

    (Hello, everybody! Could you have a look for me at this "insecurities" ? I found two definitions for this word in the dictionary: 1.lack of confidence or assurance. 2.state of being unsafe. I can not figure out that which definition is better for this case here. What is your opinion about the meaning of "insecurities" here? Thank you very much! )

    Ads convince us that the things we once thought were luxuries are now necessities. Televison is highly skilled at creating images of affluence, not just in the ads, but in the programs as well. ... ...
    The first of your two meanings is the one that applies here.

    It is people's emotional insecurity, not physical insecurity, that the television ads take advantage of.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 902
    #4

    Re: insecurity

    All advertising manipulates. But to say it does nothing but is surely excessive. After my car was broken into, I was looking for more secure locks and an alarm system. Who knows, but at least they deter some of the random vandals who had done it once already -- videotaped but uncatchable.


    • Join Date: Dec 2008
    • Posts: 146
    #5

    Re: insecurity

    Quote Originally Posted by abaka View Post
    "Many advertisements appeal to what we fear or want." <-- Useful exercise, isn't it? Usually half the words and two thirds of the letters can be dropped, and the meaning becomes all the more clear. Note the logic change: "and" is really "or".

    Categories (1), fashion and cosmetics, for example, and (2), home security products, are both very common. Having no confidence, we fear our ugliness; wanting safety, we fear unknown danger. So insecure of us! Do you agree?
    Hi, abaka,

    It is good to see you here again! Thanks for your help.

    According to your explanation, so.. do you think that in this case, "insecurities" contains both two definitions - "lack of confidence" and "the state of being unsafe"? Is that what you wanted to tell me?


    • Join Date: Dec 2008
    • Posts: 146
    #6

    Re: insecurity

    Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    The first of your two meanings is the one that applies here.

    It is people's emotional insecurity, not physical insecurity, that the television ads take advantage of.

    Hello, 2006,

    Glad to see you again! Thank you for taking a look at my question!

    But I think abaka's opinion is reasonable, and that is why I asked this question. In this case, "insecurities" can refer to them both - "emotional insecurity" (such as what abaka said, we fear ugliness. So ads encourage us to buy some cosmetic, fashionable clothes, etc.) and "physical insecurity" (such as home security products, burglarproof door, or the safe, and so on)

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 902
    #7

    Re: insecurity

    Quote Originally Posted by IMPSX-UE View Post
    do you think that in this case, "insecurities" contains both two definitions - "lack of confidence" and "the state of being unsafe"?
    Yes, although 2006 disagrees. I see his point, but--this is not just a question of language--there's a bit of everything in everything, so to speak, and if you're doing an analysis, the most interesting results come from considering it from all possible sides. Overwhelmingly most of it is clearly (1), but there is some of (2) --is there? how much? -- even if your authors didn't intend it.

    Alex

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,146
    #8

    Re: insecurity

    Quote Originally Posted by abaka View Post
    Yes, although 2006 disagrees. I see his point, but--this is not just a question of language--there's a bit of everything in everything, so to speak, and if you're doing an analysis, the most interesting results come from considering it from all possible sides. Overwhelmingly most of it is clearly (1), but there is some of (2) --is there? how much? -- even if your authors didn't intend it.

    Alex
    The original question was "...which definition is better...".
    Both from the tone of the IMPSX-UE's post and from watching ads on TV, the first definition is better.

    Of course some TV ads appeal to our desire for physical security, but they are a small minority.

    It would have been better if I had said 'The first of your two meanings is the one that applies better here.'


    • Join Date: Dec 2008
    • Posts: 146
    #9

    Talking Re: insecurity

    Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    The original question was "...which definition is better...".
    Both from the tone of the IMPSX-UE's post and from watching ads on TV, the first definition is better.
    Hello, 2006,

    Thanks for your reply!

    It seems I made a "mistake" "I can not figure out that which definition is better for this case here." Actually, the thing that I could not figure out is the meaning of "insecurities" in this context. Before asking this question here, I felt that it means "1", and I also felt that "2" is as reasonable as "1", AND I felt that maybe "insecurities" contains "1" and "2" in this case. As I said in the previous post, "that is why I asked this question".

    Sorry for misdirecting you, it has been twice, I hope that will not happen again!


    • Join Date: Dec 2008
    • Posts: 146
    #10

    Re: insecurity

    Quote Originally Posted by abaka View Post
    Yes, although 2006 disagrees. I see his point, but--this is not just a question of language--there's a bit of everything in everything, so to speak, and if you're doing an analysis, the most interesting results come from considering it from all possible sides. Overwhelmingly most of it is clearly (1), but there is some of (2) --is there? how much? -- even if your authors didn't intend it.

    Alex

    Thanks a lot, abaka. I get it now! See you soon!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •