• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

bias, bull, thin-skinned, off-the-cuff, turn the corner, scapegoat, put out, maverick

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am on the right track by interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following excerpt from a discussion?

“No Bias No Bull is a bunch of bull when it comes to these thin-skinned editorials by Brown. I’m exasperated by the sexism accusations against the McCain campaign. The “diva” remark is not sexist, it’s an off the cuff that reflects the deep-seated frustraton of a staff that was given an impossible task… to make ready a woman who is clearly not ready to make ready. The job of the VP is to be ready to be P, and there’s no way she could turn that corner in time. Sarah Palin needs to stop scapegoating. She should thank the campaign advisers for not putting her out sooner when even after weeks of prep she failed to show basic knowledge national issues. The two “mavericks” should slap themselves. And PLEASE stop comparing Palin to Biden. He is tested, vetted, credible, and proven. She is inept, brash, overconfident, and self-serving.”

bias = prejudice, jaundice
    bull = nonsense
    thin-skinned = quick to take offense
    off the cuff = not prepared in advance; impromptu, spoken, performed, or composed with little or no preparation or forethought
    turn the corner = pass a milestone or critical point, begin to recover, (when the corner is turned, there is hope for improvement)
    scapegoat = a sinn offering
    put out = to withdraw from one's occupation, business, or office; stop working
    maverick = one that refuses to abide by the dictates of or resists adherence to a group; a dissenter
    vetted = experienced, (one who has long experience in a given activity or capacity)
    brash = hasty and unthinking; impetuous, rude and disrespectful, brittle

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Re: bias, bull, thin-skinned, off-the-cuff, turn the corner, scapegoat, put out, mave

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am on the right track by interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following excerpt from a discussion?

“No Bias No Bull is a bunch of bull when it comes to these thin-skinned editorials by Brown. I’m exasperated by the sexism accusations against the McCain campaign. The “diva” remark is not sexist, it’s an off the cuff that reflects the deep-seated frustraton of a staff that was given an impossible task… to make ready a woman who is clearly not ready to make ready. The job of the VP is to be ready to be P, and there’s no way she could turn that corner in time. Sarah Palin needs to stop scapegoating. She should thank the campaign advisers for not putting her out sooner when even after weeks of prep she failed to show basic knowledge national issues. The two “mavericks” should slap themselves. And PLEASE stop comparing Palin to Biden. He is tested, vetted, credible, and proven. She is inept, brash, overconfident, and self-serving.”

bias = prejudice, jaundice
    bull = nonsense
    thin-skinned = quick to take offense
    off the cuff = not prepared in advance; impromptu, spoken, performed, or composed with little or no preparation or forethought
    turn the corner = pass a milestone or critical point, begin to recover, (when the corner is turned, there is hope for improvement)
    scapegoat = a sinn offering
    put out = to withdraw from one's occupation, business, or office; stop working
    maverick = one that refuses to abide by the dictates of or resists adherence to a group; a dissenter
    vetted = experienced, (one who has long experience in a given activity or capacity)
    brash = hasty and unthinking; impetuous, rude and disrespectful, brittle

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    Why do people dislike Sarah Palin?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: bias, bull, thin-skinned, off-the-cuff, turn the corner, scapegoat, put out, mave

Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    Why do people dislike Sarah Palin?
    Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Why not?
    Are you implying my question is stupid?

Vil, you are good. BTW, do not overdo 'I am on the right track'.
    Say instead: Am I right? Am I correct? in thinking that...