Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile How to understand it

Dear teachers:

How to understand the underlined part in the following paragraph:

He was a psychiatrist imprisoned in a German concentration camp during W. W. II. As the shrinking number of surviving prisoners descended to new depths of hell, he and his closest prisoner friend sought desperately for ways to keep from dying. Piled on top of malnutrition, exhoustion and disease, suicidal despair was the big killer in these citadels of degradation.

What does "these citadels of degradation" refer to?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: How to understand it

Quote Originally Posted by studying View Post
    Dear teachers:

How to understand the underlined part in the following paragraph:

He was a psychiatrist imprisoned in a German concentration camp during W. W. II. As the shrinking number of surviving prisoners descended to new depths of hell, he and his closest prisoner friend sought desperately for ways to keep from dying. Piled on top of malnutrition, exhoustion and disease, suicidal despair was the big killer in these citadels of degradation.

What does "these citadels of degradation" refer to?

Thanks a lot in advance.
    It refers to the camp.

Thanks.

But my question is why it's "these citadels" if it refers to the camp.

hello.. anyone help with this question?

hello.. anyone help with this question?
    Metaphorical:a fotress protecting (ensuring) degradation (reduction in strength).

Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    Metaphorical:a fotress protecting (ensuring) degradation (reduction in strength).

Thank you very much.

But why it's "these citadels" if it refers to the camp??

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Thank you very much.

But why it's "these citadels" if it refers to the camp??
    It refers to the camps. Plural.

But the writer only mention one camp ( He was a psychiatrist imprisoned in a German concentration camp during W. W. II. ) in the pharagraph..

There are no more camps mentioned in the pharagraph, why it refer to the camps???

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

But the writer only mention one camp ( He was a psychiatrist imprisoned in a German concentration camp during W. W. II. ) in the pharagraph..

There are no more camps mentioned in the pharagraph, why it refer to the camps???
    I presume it's because the writer knows of the existence of the other camps and assumes (correctly) that they are all just as terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I presume it's because the writer knows of the existence of the other camps and assumes (correctly) that they are all just as terrible.

Thank you so much!

For the last sentence:
    Piled on top of malnutrition, exhaustion and disease, suicidal despair was the big killer in these citadels of degradation.

I've comprehenced the last sentence in the following way,
    Could you let me know if it is also reasonable?

Since the writer is comparing the elements, I assume "these citadels" refers to the malnutrition, exhoustion and disease, etc.
    * I transfer the sentence in another way:
    Piled on top of malnutrition, exhaustion and disease, suicidal despair was the big killer in these killing reasons.

Thanks in advance!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast