• Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Grammar doubts in The Monk Who Sold his Ferrari

Hi,

I started this thread to clear off any grammar mistakes that I would come across as I read through the book.

Kindly help me through the journey of this book:)

Doubt#1: Sure I am that this day we are masters of our fate, that the task which has been set before us is not above our strength; that its pangs and toils are not beyond my endurance. What does the reflexive pronoun 'its' referring to? the punctuation ';' acts as 'and' right?

Doubt#2: I heard through the grapevine that his grandfather had been a prominent senator and his father a highly respected judge of the Federal Court. If a grammar purist looked at the bolded part, would he object for anything that is missing in specific? I feel that the part has got no verb.. fine because there is no punctuation ',' before and. However, I feel after 'his father' there should be a ','.. What do you say?

Doubt#3: It was obvious that he came from money and that there were enormous expectations weighing on his Armani-clad shoulders. Should the bolded parts be in past perfect because of the past tense presence at the start of the sentence? Also whatdoes Armani-clad shoulders mean?

Thanks,
    Kirru

Re: Grammar doubts in The Monk Who Sold his Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by kiranlegend View Post
    Hi,

I started this thread to clear off any grammar mistakes that I would come across as I read through the book.

Kindly help me through the journey of this book:)

Doubt#1: Sure I am that this day we are masters of our fate, that the task which has been set before us is not above our strength; that its pangs and toils are not beyond my endurance. What does the reflexive pronoun 'its' referring to? the punctuation ';' acts as 'and' right?

its "=" of our fate

Doubt#2: I heard through the grapevine that his grandfather had been a prominent senator and his father a highly respected judge of the Federal Court. If a grammar purist looked at the bolded part, would he object to anything that is missing in specific? I feel that the part has got no verb.. fine because there is no punctuation ',' before and. However, I feel after 'his father' there should be a ','.. What do you say?

and his father had been a highly respected judge

the red part is ellipted correctly. Punctuation is okay.

Doubt#3: It was obvious that he came from money and that there were enormous expectations weighing on his Armani-clad shoulders. Should the bolded parts be in past perfect because of the past tense presence at the start of the sentence? Also whatdoes Armani-clad shoulders mean?

No, correctly chosen are the tenses. Armani clad? "Covered in a cloth" with an Armani badge?

Thanks,
    Kirru

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

"Covered in a cloth" with an Armani badge?" - not just any old cloth - an Armani suit (or at least a jacket), with the designer's label. He came from a moneyed background, which was apparent from the way he dressed.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The word its refers to the task which has been set before us.

Doubt#2: I heard through the grapevine that his grandfather had been a prominent senator and his father a highly respected judge of the Federal Court. If a grammar purist looked at the bolded part, would he object for anything that is missing in specific? I feel that the part has got no verb.. fine because there is no punctuation ',' before and. However, I feel after 'his father' there should be a ','.. What do you say?
    The full phrase is:
    that his grandfather had been a prominent senator and his father a highly respected judge of the Federal Court
    My only objection is that federal court is not a proper noun. (AmE)

Doubt#3: It was obvious that he came from money and that there were enormous expectations weighing on his Armani-clad shoulders. Should the bolded parts be in past perfect because of the past tense presence at the start of the sentence?
    No.

(You have questions. We have answers.)

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    The word its refers to the task which has been set before us.
    Our fate is our tasks that has been set before us.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    Our fate is our tasks that has been set before us.

What does the reflexive pronoun 'its' referring to?
    reflexive pronoun? No! Possessive pronoun.

Sure I am that this day we are masters of our fate, that the task which has been set before us is not above our strength; that its pangs and toils are not beyond my endurance.

Are the parts in bold not the same thing expressed in different ways?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    reflexive pronoun? No! Possessive pronoun.

Sure I am that this day we are masters of our fate, that the task which has been set before us is not above our strength; that its pangs and toils are not beyond my endurance.

Are the parts in bold not the same thing expressed in different ways?
    No, The phrase "the task which has been set before us" refers to something in a previous sentence. The writer is saying that he/she can do it (accomplish the task).

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    No, The phrase "the task which has been set before us" refers to something in a previous sentence. The writer is saying that he/she can do it (accomplish the task).

Well, for me it is hard to decide without seeing the whole picture. And even it is so with it.