• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Bianca, Reese and Greenlee's bridal shower takes a turn for the worse ..

Dear teachers,

There are two sentences of an excerpt from an Entertaiment News which drive me to be in the soup:

“Bianca, Reese and Greenlee's bridal shower takes a turn for the worse when Erica reveals she invited Reese's mother as well as Greenlee's to the party. Reese has it out with her mother, who ends up slapping her just as Zach walks in.”

If a bridal shower is a gift giving party given for a bride before her wedding would you be kind enough to tell me whether there is really only one bridal shower and respectively who of the mentioned above “virgins” is practically the real bride in the present case?

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: Bianca, Reese and Greenlee's bridal shower takes a turn for the worse ..

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

There are two sentences of an excerpt from an Entertaiment News which drive me to be in the soup:

“Bianca, Reese and Greenlee's bridal shower takes a turn for the worse when Erica reveals she invited Reese's mother as well as Greenlee's to the party. Reese has it out with her mother, who ends up slapping her just as Zach walks in.”

If a bridal shower is a gift giving party given for a bride before her wedding would you be kind enough to tell me whether there is really only one bridal shower and respectively who of the mentioned above “virgins” is practically the real bride in the present case?

Regards,

V.

I am not a teacher.

This is an interesting and confusing "bridal shower". You are correct, generally there is a bridal shower for one bride. In this instance, however, there are three brides.

The story to which this refers is a US television program called "All my Children", which I happen to watch occasionally.

Reese and Bianca are two young women who are engaged to be married. In Canada, same-sex marriage is legal, and in one or two US states it is also legal, so it seems that the TV program wants to make people aware of this trend.

Greenlee is the third "bride" in this case. She will be entering a traditional marriage. There was one bridal shower for the three people, simply because they are all friends. And, trust me, none of the three are "virgins"

I have a question also.............. what does it mean to "be in the soup"?????

P.S. on edit. "take a turn for the worse/worst" means that something goes from good to bad, as in "I'm afraid that your mother's health is taking a turn for the worse."

In the instance of the bridal shower, it was a pleasant party, but when the mother arrived, she spoiled the festive mood.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Purely in terms of language, "to take a turn for the better/worse" is a common idiomatic expression. Imagine life as though it is water flowing in a river, and the river turning right or left.

X takes a turn of the worse/better = The circumstances of X become worse/better.
    Last edited by abaka; 01-Feb-2009 at 20:43. Reason: wording

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post

Regards,

V.
    As SearchingForLanguage explained above, the scenario you quoted is from an American soap opera. Traditionally speaking, in the US, a bridal shower is a party given for a woman prior to her wedding ceremony (usually hosted by her bridesmaids). Usually the bridal shower is a party attended by strictly female friends and relatives of the bride and bridegroom, although the bride might bring her future husband as the sole male attendee to the party to help open gifts and meet her friends. It is at the shower when the prospective bride receives most of her "homemaking" gifts, such as bed and bath linens, kitchen appliances, fine china, silverware, etc.

Some brides-to-be have more than one shower; if, for example, the groom's side of the family lives in another area of the country, she might have a separate party there so that her future husband's relatives can participate in the pre-wedding merry-making.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi Search for language,

Thank you for your thorough and lifelike answear.

in the soup (idiom) = in trouble

in the soup: Information from Answers.com

Regards,

V.