Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Unregistered
    Guest
    #1

    Smile English

    it is a piece of a conversation:

    A: Is he/she English?
    B: Yeah, too much.

    what beeing too much English means?

    Thanks.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,626
    #2

    Re: English

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    it is a piece of a conversation:

    A: Is he/she English?
    B: Yeah, too much.

    What does being 'too much English' mean?

    Thanks.
    Well, I suppose some people could see some English people as being 'too English', but you would have to ask a non-English person what they might mean by that.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 1,032
    #3

    Re: English

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Well, I suppose some people could see some English people as being 'too English', but you would have to ask a non-English person what they might mean by that.

    O.K. I will take a stab at this.

    The sterotypical "English" is portrayed in many movies etc. as being prim, proper, a bit unbending, and possibly arrogant as to the idea that "English" is the best way to be.

    I have found them to be very different. English guests in our B&B are friendly, very accommodating and funny. And, they generally even like the way I prepare their tea!

  3. Offroad's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 2,817
    #4

    Smile Re: English

    that reminds me of Mr Bean, hahaha...

    well, I don't know much about the English, but I think "beeing too English" might mean they are too prim, some of them sleep in pyjamas, they have tea every single day, they like old cars... (1940s) haha..
    That's what I have seen in the movies.


    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 5
    #5

    Thumbs up Re: English

    i think too much english is an english man or...... who tries to live english customs and traditions

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,626
    #6

    Re: English

    Quote Originally Posted by marciobarbalho View Post
    that reminds me of Mr Bean, hahaha...

    well, I don't know much about the English, but I think "beeing too English" might mean they are too prim, some of them sleep in pyjamas, they have tea every single day, they like old cars... (1940s) haha..
    That's what I have seen in the movies.
    If I might offer myself as an example; I am far from prim. I haven't worn pyjamas since I was 12. I do drink tea every single day. I do like old cars, mostly 1950s/60s.

  5. Offroad's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 2,817
    #7

    Smile Re: English

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    If I might offer myself as an example; I am far from prim. I haven't worn pyjamas since I was 12. I do drink tea every single day. I do like old cars, mostly 1950s/60s.
    but you do agree that the English do that, which is OK, good qualities, maybe it's not the best idea to sleep in pyjamas in a tropical country, and besides that, sounds like a 40 years old guy who hasn't moved out from his mom's house yet.

Similar Threads

  1. Traditional English is facing extinction
    By English traditionalist in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 29-Oct-2009, 17:27
  2. How does an English club in your area work?
    By sympathy in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 21-Nov-2008, 15:19
  3. Please check my writing for mistakes!
    By flowerseed in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-Oct-2008, 14:40
  4. What is an english corner?
    By Guest in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-Oct-2008, 00:20
  5. Is it right?
    By Genrikh in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-Dec-2005, 16:59

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •