• Post Thanks / Like

About meaning of the part of the sentence.

Please help me with that sentence to understand.

Citing imminent danger to the national economy, Bush ordered an emergency bailout of the U.S. auto industry Friday,offering 17.4 billion in rescue loans and demanding tough concession from the deeply troubled carmakers and their workers.
    In that sentence
    1. What does " citing imminent danger to the national economy"? Especially,in this case what does citing mean?
    2. Also what does concession mean, in that case? I looked this word from the dictionary, but there were many meanings..So I didn't know which to choose.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: About meaning of the part of the sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Undak View Post
    Please help me with that sentence to understand.

Citing imminent danger to the national economy, Bush ordered an emergency bailout of the U.S. auto industry Friday,offering 17.4 billion in rescue loans and demanding tough concession from the deeply troubled carmakers and their workers.
    In that sentence
    1. What does " citing imminent danger to the national economy"? Especially,in this case what does citing mean?

2. Also what does concession mean, in that case? I looked this word from the dictionary, but there were many meanings..So I didn't know which to choose.
    to cite: to give an example; or quote an authority in support of an argument; to mention in official dispatches. In this case it means that he has to do this, because the country is in economic danger.

concession: in this case means they have to give up somehting. They have to give up some wages and/or benefits which they have been receiving as part of their employment.

I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: About meaning of the part of the sentence.

1) "Cite" means to quote, to invoke. Here Bush declares that the economy is in imminent (real, about to happen) danger (of deep recession or collapse), and therefore orders the bailout. The failure of the automakers would affect the rest of the American economy very badly.

2) "Concessions" in this case are privileges or benefits given up. The companies would give up such things as extremely high executive salaries, luxurious office space, corporate airplanes, etc., while the workers would agree to wage freezes or cuts, reduced benefits, harsher working conditions, and so on.