Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. jehad_shatrit yahoo.com

reply to principle

I recieved a contract from a university but I dont like the salary So I wanna to appologize in a good way and I ask the principle to think again about the offer given, I wanna a formal respective way of replying

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: reply to principle

Begin as follows:

I received a contract from a university, but I do not like the salary. So I want to apologize in a good way and ask the principal to think again about the offer given; I would like a formal, respectful way of replying. Thank you very much.

In other words, write briefly and to the point, weigh every word and check whether it really means what you think it does in a dictionary, check your spelling, don't use contractions or colloquial slurring, punctuate carefully, and remember that saying "I want! I want!" for what you are demanding from others is for some strange reason considered impolite. And remember to say thank you for what you're offered.

PS. If you post your draft here, many people will be happy to offer suggestions as necessary.
    Last edited by abaka; 03-Feb-2009 at 19:27. Reason: added postscript.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

In the case of a university, it is not the principal. It would be either the head of the department, the Dean, or better, the person from whom you received the offer of a position.
    Last edited by Searching for language; 03-Feb-2009 at 19:42.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by abaka View Post
    Begin as follows:

I received a contract from a university, but I do not like the salary. So I want to apologize in a good way and ask the principal to think again about the offer given; I would like a formal, respectful way of replying. Thank you very much.

In other words, write briefly and to the point, weigh every word and check whether it really means what you think it does in a dictionary, check your spelling, don't use contractions or colloquial slurring, punctuate carefully, and remember that saying "I want! I want!" for what you are demanding from others is for some strange reason considered impolite. And remember to say thank you for what you're offered.

PS. If you post your draft here. many people will be happy to offer suggestions as necessary.
    If I were editing the first part, I'd put a period after given, but either a period or semi-colon is standard English. Abaka's corrections are good.

And lose wanna! That's baby talk and does not make you sound good.

[I edit copy and have tutored university writing.]

I do not like the salary
    Would you really consider this acceptable when addressing someone formally?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by IvanV View Post
    Would you really consider this acceptable when addressing someone formally?
    No. But at least the grammar and spelling are correct. The diction can then be worked on.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by jehad_shatrit yahoo.com View Post
    I recieved a contract from a university but I dont like the salary So I wanna to appologize in a good way and I ask the principle to think again about the offer given, I wanna a formal respective way of replying
    If you go ahead and write your letter, keeping in mind the above suggestions, then post it here, there will be lots of help in the final draft.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by jehad_shatrit yahoo.com View Post
    Dear Sir,
    I am in receipt of your contract for my employment at your university.
    Apparently, I have not managed to fully convey the depths of my talents in my application. It's true that my written English is of a poor standard, but let's face it, why would I apply to your snotty university unless I thought I could improve its image, say, by my charisma. I must frankly state that your remunerative offer sucks to the max. I can only assume that you rate my numeracy as low as my literacy skills. When I first read it, I thought I was on the wrong end of an undergraduate prank. If you cannot increase this pittance to a level commensurate with my level of self-importance, I am prepared to set up an interview with you during which I, and several 'referees', will attempt to convince you of my real value.
    I remain,
    etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Dear Sir,
    I am in receipt of your contract for my employment at your university.
    Apparently, I have not managed to fully convey the depths of my talents in my application. It's true that my written English is of a poor standard, but let's face it, why would I apply to your snotty university unless I thought I could improve its image, say, by my charisma. I must frankly state that your remunerative offer sucks to the max. I can only assume that you rate my numeracy as low as my literacy skills. When I first read it, I thought I was on the wrong end of an undergraduate prank. If you cannot increase this pittance to a level commensurate with my level of self-importance, I am prepared to set up an interview with you during which I, and several 'referees', will attempt to convince you of my real value.
    I remain,
    etc.
    Hahahaha!
    You made my day!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by IvanV View Post
    Hahahaha!
    You made my day!
    I just hope that the person who wrote the original request realizes that he's had his proverbial leg pulled, and doesn't actually send that letter off!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast