Results 1 to 10 of 10
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Belarus

    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 30
    #1

    I'm short - what does it mean?

    Hi all!

    In the movie "Apocalypse Now" there is a phrase "I'm short and we gotta go up there so you can kill one of our own guys? That's fuckin' great!". What "I'm short" means in this context?

    Thanks.

  1. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #2

    Re: I'm short - what does it mean?

    Hello RiTm,

    What's the context? As is, it sounds like the actor is saying s/he is in short supply of something.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Belarus

    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 30
    #3

    Re: I'm short - what does it mean?

    This is the phrase of boat's captain. He's ferry Willard, who just tell objective of their mission. Captain get angry, couse mission is weird and unusual.

    -There's a Green Beret colonel up there who's gone insane and I'm supposed to kill him.
    -That's fucking typical! Shit! Fuckin' Vietnam mission! I'm short and we gotta go up there so you can kill one of our own guys? That's fucking great! That's just fucking great, man.

    One translator interpret this like "his discharge from army soon", but I'm not really sure about this.

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #4

    Re: I'm short - what does it mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    Hello RiTm,

    What's the context? As is, it sounds like the actor is saying s/he is in short supply of something.
    Quote Originally Posted by RiTm View Post
    This is the phrase of boat's captain. He's ferry Willard, who just tell objective of their mission. Captain get angry, couse mission is weird and unusual.

    -There's a Green Beret colonel up there who's gone insane and I'm supposed to kill him.
    -That's fucking typical! Shit! Fuckin' Vietnam mission! I'm short and we gotta go up there so you can kill one of our own guys? That's fucking great! That's just fucking great, man.

    One translator interpret this like "his discharge from army soon", but I'm not really sure about this.
    The 'supply of something' in this case sounds as if it could be either man-power or fuel - it's still not clear.

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Belarus

    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 30
    #5

    Re: I'm short - what does it mean?

    Soup, BobK, thanks! But it'doen't look like he's talk about shortage of something. ( I hope somebody who watched the movie can help.

  3. Ouisch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 4,142
    #6

    Re: I'm short - what does it mean?

    I've always presumed he meant "short of men" or crew because just moments before Clean and Chief (two fellow soldiers aboard their boat) were killed in a surprise attack by the Viet Cong. Up to that point, the mission was "classified" and Chef thought that they were only going blow up a bridge. But now Willard has informed him that they are supposed to locate this Green Beret who has gone crazy and kill him.

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,604
    #7

    Re: I'm short - what does it mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    I've always presumed he meant "short of men" or crew because just moments before Clean and Chief (two fellow soldiers aboard their boat) were killed in a surprise attack by the Viet Cong. Up to that point, the mission was "classified" and Chef thought that they were only going blow up a bridge. But now Willard has informed him that they are supposed to locate this Green Beret who has gone crazy and kill him.
    Yes, I agree, I think it means that he was short of men. Great film, based on the great novel 'Heart of Darkness' by Joseph Conrad, and relocated from Africa at the end of the 19th century, to Vietnam in the 1960s.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Belarus

    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 30
    #8

    Re: I'm short - what does it mean?

    Thank's all, I think the "short of men" is suitable sense. 2 bhaisahab - Yes, great movie!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Belarus

    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 30
    #9

    Re: I'm short - what does it mean?

    I solved the problem ).
    From here: Urban Dictionary: short:
    Short:
    "Military and prison adjective for describing someone nearing the end of their tour of duty, enlistment or incarceration. A short-timer is someone who has less then 90 days to serve. A Korean War veteran told me these terms were in wide use in the late 1940s; they have been in continuous wide use in the military since then.
    Example:
    Sargeant: "Get you head out of your ass -- make something of yourself soldier."
    Private (to self): "I'm short . . . I don't give a fuck."

    So, translator Goblin was right.

  5. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #10

    Re: I'm short - what does it mean?

    The equivalent - also military in origin - in Br English would be '"demob"-happy'. "Demob" is army slang for 'demobilization'. But it doesn't have to relate to the army. I heard a fellow-civilian use the expression last night to mean he didn't care about work because he was about to go on holiday.

    b

Similar Threads

  1. small built, a little short of pretty
    By KLPNO in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Jan-2008, 23:18
  2. be short of/lack
    By thru in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-Feb-2007, 21:16
  3. fall short of
    By Korusan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-Dec-2006, 06:04
  4. short of + noun/adj
    By MadHorse in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Mar-2006, 16:33

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •