• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

What is "detention"?

Hi, guys!

I'm the one who is interested in euducational system in English speaking countries. To me, one of the most interesting system is "detention". As far as I know, it is a kind of "punishment" for what students did bad things in class.

I wonder what kind of things studetns generally do during detention. If you know, could you help me understand the culture of school in English speaking countries?

Re: What is "detention"?

Quote Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
    Hi, guys!

I'm the one who is interested in eu the ducational system in English speaking countries. To me, one of the most interesting system aspects is "detention". As far as I know, it is a kind of "punishment" for what students did bad things in class students who did something bad during class.
    SCHOOL DETENTION

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
    Hi, guys!

I'm the one who is interested in euducational system in English speaking countries. To me, one of the most interesting system is "detention". As far as I know, it is a kind of "punishment" for what students did bad things in class.

I wonder what kind of things studetns generally do during detention. If you know, could you help me understand the culture of school in English speaking countries?

Back when I was in school (shortly after dinosaurs stopped roaming the Earth), detention was given the euphemistic term "Study Hall." If a miscreant was assigned detention/study hall, he had to report to a certain room after regular classes ended and sit quietly with the other delinquents for one hour. A teacher or other administrator was present during that time to maintain order. The main "punishment" was that you could not talk to one another while in detention. You were supposed to study or do homework, but you could also pass the hour by doodling in a sketchbook or reading a (non-homework related) book. The main point of the punishment was to detain you at school one hour longer than necessary (after all your friends had gone home and were already relaxing or having fun), while also forcing you to sit quietly.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

I really appreciate your explanation which is absoultely helpful to me.
    I can't thank enough. I think it is very lucky to get to know this site and kind and smart teachers.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Thanks for letting me know very useful site. Have a nice day. I like your picture from star wars.

I work in an elementary school (also called a primary school in some parts of the English-speaking world) and we use detention for students who didn't complete their homework. Instead of playing at recess, we "detain" them inside the class and they must work on their homework or other incomplete assignment.