Talking as much as

Professor: Idealists favor learning that's holistic over learning that's specialized. For instance, idealists consider subjects like chemistry and physics useful, but they're of real value only when they help us to see the whole picture of our universe. Idealists aren't concerned with turning out graduates with specific technical skills as much as giving students a broad understanding of the world they live in. (Hello, everybody! I get this sentence in two different ways, and I do not know which one is right. Could you have a look for me to see that which way I am getting is correct? Thanks a lot! 1)Idealists aren't concerned with turning out graduates with specific technical skills, and idealists aren't concerned with giving students a broad understanding of the world they live in either. 2) Idealists aren't concerned with turning out graduates with specific technical skills, but idealists are concerned with giving students a broad understanding of the world they live in. )
    Student: But isn't that kind of impractical? I mean, most of us go to college because we want knowledge about certain subjects, not the whole universe.
    ... ...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: as much as

2) Idealists aren't concerned with turning out graduates with specific technical skills, but idealists are more concerned with giving students a broad understanding of the world they live in.

This is the intended meaning.

Re: as much as

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    2) Idealists aren't concerned with turning out graduates with specific technical skills, but idealists are more concerned with giving students a broad understanding of the world they live in.

This is the intended meaning.

bhaisahab, thanks! I get it !