• Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

exorcist,''he,she or it',the salt of the earth''

<My sweetest and respected teachers>
    1 : ''I'm an exorcist and I shall exorcise the ghost from you'' correct?
    2 : ''If I refer to an animal or a bird or a ghost etc What should i use, ''he,she or it''?
    3 : ''I'm getting defamed'' correct?
    4 : ''We are friends since the day before yesterday'' correct?
    5 : ''I'm overlying the bed'' correct?
    6 : ''I'll send it to your address'' correct?
    7 : ''I'm the salt of the earth'' means 'I'm a very good and honest person you can rely on me' right?
    8 : ''You write an illegible English'' means 'You write too bad English to read or write very difficult by using high words'' ?
    9 : ''If a policeman asks a driver his license and the driver says ''sorry, not on me'' means 'I don't have license in my car because it is at home'' right?
    10 : ''You kissed me and made my cheeks red because you are putting on lipstick'' correct?

Re: exorcist,''he,she or it',the salt of the earth''

Quote Originally Posted by twilit1988 View Post
    <My sweetest and respected teachers>
    1 : ''I'm an exorcist and I shall exorcise the ghost from you'' correct?
    2 : ''If I refer to an animal or a bird or a ghost etc What should i use, ''he,she or it''? A ghost is by its neutrality "it".
    3 : ''I'm getting defamed'' correct? I am being defamed/I have been defamed
    4 : ''We are friends since the day before yesterday'' correct? We have been ... since...
    5 : ''I'm overlying the bed'' correct? What are you trying to say? Thay you are lying on the bed?
    6 : ''I'll send it to your address'' correct?
    7 : ''I'm the salt of the earth'' means 'I'm a very good and honest person you can rely on me' right? I am a great person, and everbody likes me.
    8 : ''You write an illegible English'' means 'You write too bad English to read or write very difficult by using high words'' ? It is your physical writing on the page that cannot be read.
    9 : ''If a policeman asks a driver for his license and the driver says ''Sorry, not on me'' means 'I don't have license in my car because it is at home'' right? Probably
    10 : ''You kissed me and made my cheeks red because you are putting on lipstick'' correct? When you kissed me, your lipstick got onto my cheeks and made them red.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: exorcist,''he,she or it',the salt of the earth''

To add a little to Anglika's comment -
    8 : ''You write an illegible English'' means 'You write too bad English to read or write very difficult by using high words'' ? It is your physical writing on the page that cannot be read.
    There are two words: "illegible" - which, as A said, refers to your physical writing - and "unreadable". "Unreadable" refers to a way of putting words together, and choosing words, that is/are hard to understand. An example of this would be something like 'I find Conrad/Henry James/Joyce... almost completely unreadable.'

An example of 'illegible' would be: "Is that a g or a y? Really, your writing is nearly illegible."

So, going back to your sentence, it's unlikely that someone's English would be illegible - except in a document, say, where the French was clearly written and the English illegible (perhaps written by somebody else).

b
    Last edited by BobK; 05-Feb-2009 at 13:25. Reason: Typo