Can you say this sentence in another way, please?

I am reading an article about teaching children cooking. I met this sentence in the article.

"Whether you can't tell one end of a spatula from the other or love cooking up a storm, we want to hear from you!"

I guess that it means whether you can cook well or not. Bub I'd like to know what the above sentence exactly means.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Can you say this sentence in another way, please?

You're right about what the sentence means, but let's take a look at it to make sure it is as clear as it can be.

The simplest way of restating the sentence would be something like, "We want you to write to us whether you can cook or not."

The section you highlighted would be clearer if it said, "...you can't tell one end of a spatula from the other or you love cooking up a storm...". "You can't tell one end of a spatula from another" would mean, "You are ignorant of the appearance and use of one of the most basic cooking tools." (It doesn't mean, "This is the wide end and that's the narrow end with a hole in it, silly.") It's meant to make you think of the statement, "He doesn't know his rear end from a hole in the ground." "Cooking up a storm" compares seeing a fast, excellent cook to watching things fly around in a windstorm.

A middle way that preserves more of the sentence structure would be, "We want to hear what you have to say, whether you don't know anything about cooking or whether you are very good at cooking."