Talking "causing" and "and caused"

And during the next week, the earthquakes increased rapidly, causing several avalanches.

Hello, everybody! I have a question about this sentence. If I say, "
    And during the next week, the earthquakes increased rapidly and caused several avalanches." Then is there a difference between these two sentences ("causing" and "and caused") ? I am just curious about this question, do not be mad at it!! Thanks a lot !

Mount St. Helens has a long history of volcanic activity, so the eruptions of 1980 weren't a surprise to geologists. The geologists who were familiar with mountain had predicted she would erupt. The eruption cycle had sort of a harmless beginning . In March of 1980, seismologists picked up signs of earthquake activity below the mountain. And during the next week, the earthquakes increased rapidly, causing several avalanches. These tremors and quakes were signs that larte amounts of magma were moving deep within the mountain. ... ...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: "causing" and "and caused"

I think that the second might be used when they caused things other than avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I think that the second might be used when they caused things other than avalanches.
    Hi, Tdol,

Thanks for your reply !

But, is there a reason?
    I mean, then, I just think, are "causing" and "and caused" interchangeable in this sentence? I mean, they just express the same meaning, there is no difference when I chose to use "causing" or "and caused". I can not figure out this.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by IMPSX-UE View Post
    Hi, Tdol,

Thanks for your reply !

But, is there a reason?
    I mean, then, I just think, are "causing" and "and caused" interchangeable in this sentence? I mean, they just express the same meaning, there is no difference when I chose to use "causing" or "and caused". I can not figure out this.
    There is no basic difference in the meaning whichever form you use but this, And during the next week, the earthquakes increased rapidly, causing several avalanches. flows better.

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    There is no basic difference in the meaning whichever form you use but this, And during the next week, the earthquakes increased rapidly, causing several avalanches. flows better.
    Okay, thanks, bhaisahab.