Wink to show mirror

Will it be correct to use the phrase "to show mirror" when I want to convey "to make someone realise his status/position/truth/reality, etc." For exmple: " He is now very arrogant. I told him how he used to come to me for borrowing money when he was a student, with the intention to show him the mirror." Is it correct and conveys the meaning? I have also heard people saying " I see mirror daily in the morning when I shave". Does this also have same connotations?
    Last edited by Romel Panzer; 07-Feb-2009 at 02:16. Reason: To add the last two sentences

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: to show mirror

(1) Your interpretation is basically correct. "To show him the mirror" means to do something to him that he often does to you, so that he can see the error on his ways from the other side, as the receiver of his acts rather than the doer. Therefore your sentence (slightly corrected for idiom)

He's become very arrogant. I told him how he used to come to me to borrow money when he was a student, to show him the mirror.

is not quite correct, because merely telling him anything is not showing him the mirror. Although people do say the phrase the way you have said it, it is not the proper way to show the mirror. This, on the other hand, is:

He's become very arrogant; he's always too busy doing important things to say hello. But he's a mooch. So, just to show him the mirror, when he came by and asked to borrow some money, I told him, just as he always does, "as IF I had the time!" -- and slammed the door in his face.

(2) I see mirror daily in the morning when I shave means I am reminded of my true nature every day. The idea about the mirror is that you see yourself in it as you really are, not as you would like others to see you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Kannada
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: to show mirror

Quote Originally Posted by Romel Panzer View Post
    Will it be correct to use the phrase "to show mirror" when I want to convey "to make someone realise his status/position/truth/reality, etc." For exmple: " He is now very arrogant. I told him how he used to come to me for borrowing money when he was a student, with the intention to show him the mirror." Is it correct and conveys the meaning? I have also heard people saying " I see mirror daily in the morning when I shave". Does this also have same connotations?
    Dear Romel, welcome to the UsingEnglish.com.
    Your question seems to be more influenced by the Hindi language term "Aaina dikhana". I think the usage in Hindi/Urdu is more appropriate. In English the usage would be more a novelty and would have less impact except for those belonging to Indian Sub-continent.
    The second sentence is just a plain statement of facts and can be considered appropriate.

P.S.: I am not a teacher of English, just someone who loves the language.