1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

• Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Student

whoud you please tell me how i can understand :" get .... off...." in the following context...
    As a result, Sinai said, the eventual recovery will be driven by government spending rather than tax cuts -- the first time that's happened in the United States since President Ronald Reagan won election by vowing to get government off people's backs

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Student

President Ronald Reagan won election by vowing to get government off people's backs
    If I was standing behind you while you sit at your computer and keep telling you what to do and how to do it, then you would probably get very irritated with me and ask me to go away.

The same would be true with your boss at work. You wouldn't want him constantly looking over your shoulder to see what you are doing. You would want to be left alone to get on with the work. Although he is not literally 'on your back' it feels like it.

The same is true with government. People and businesses dont want the government interfering, monitoring, and telling them what to do. I know my business better than the government and all I want from them is for them to go away.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Student

Quote Originally Posted by thod00 View Post
    If I was standing behind you while you sit at your computer and keep telling you what to do and how to do it, then you would probably get very irritated with me and ask me to go away.

The same would be true with your boss at work. You wouldn't want him constantly looking over your shoulder to see what you are doing. You would want to be left alone to get on with the work. Although he is not literally 'on your back' it feels like it.

The same is true with government. People and businesses dont want the government interfering, monitoring, and telling them what to do. I know my business better than the government and all I want from them is for them to go away.
    Complete deregulation leads to complete chaos, look at the banksters.