Deceitful/deceptive behavior?

My task is to give the correct form of the words in bracket in the following passage.
    Honesty means fairness, justice, truth and sincerity. An honest person is upright in speech, thought and deed. He never thinks untruly or insincere. His thinking is always true, earnest and without any sort of (1_DECEIVE) __ behavior. Again he or she always speaks what is true even if it is bitter. He or she would never lie or cheat for the sake of any selfish end. On the other hand, he or she must stick to (2_TRUE) __ even at the cost of personal gains.
    As for number 1, I think it would be deceptive but my teacher has said it is deceitful. And I would fill with truthfulness for number 2 but my teacher truth.
    Please help me work out the answers and explain me why.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Deceitful/deceptive behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by linhtho0211 View Post
    My task is to give the correct form of the words in bracket in the following passage.
    Honesty means fairness, justice, truth and sincerity. An honest person is upright in speech, thought and deed. He never thinks untruly or insincere. His thinking is always true, earnest and without any sort of (1_DECEIVE) __ behavior. Again he or she always speaks what is true even if it is bitter. He or she would never lie or cheat for the sake of any selfish end. On the other hand, he or she must stick to (2_TRUE) __ even at the cost of personal gains.
    As for number 1, I think it would be deceptive but my teacher has said it is deceitful. And I would fill with truthfulness for number 2 but my teacher truth.
    Please help me work out the answers and explain me why.
    "deceitful" = "deceptive but with intent to deceive". The bending of light rays to make it appear that things in water are deeper(shallower) than they really are is deceptive, but it's not deceitful. So your teacher was right.

If the second sentence were 'On the other hand, he or she must exercise (2_TRUE) __ even at the cost of personal gains' your choice would be right; both deceitful and truthful behaviour can be characteristic of an intelligent being. But 'stick to the truth' is a collocation; after you've said "stick to", "truthfulness" is not an option. So your teacher got it right again.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Smile Re: Deceitful/deceptive behavior?

that reminds of the Great Marcus Aurelius:

B
    EGIN the morning by saying to thyself, I shall meet with the busybody, the ungrateful, arrogant, deceitful, envious, unsocial. All these things happen to them by reason of their ignorance of what is good and evil. But I who have seen the nature of the good that it is beautiful and of the bad that it is ugly, and the nature of him who does wrong, that it is akin to me, not [only] of the same blood or seed, but that it participates in [the same] intelligence and [the same] portion of the divinity, I can neither be injured by any of them, for no one can fix on me what is ugly, nor can I be angry with my kinsman, nor hate him. For we are made for co-operation, like feet, like hands, like eyelids, like the rows of the upper and lower teeth. To act against one another then is contrary to nature; and it is acting against one another to be vexed and to turn away.