Old Money?

Quote:

"One point, of course, was of far more use to Harry Redknapp than Wenger. Though Spurs stayed 15th, the gap between them and the drop zone has now stretched to two points — and that’s worth about five in old money. "

The excerpt is from an article reporting a football game. I am puzzled by the usage of "old money" here. Can anyone explain it for me, thanks so much!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Old Money?

Quote Originally Posted by sparklark View Post
    Quote:

"One point, of course, was of far more use to Harry Redknapp than Wenger. Though Spurs stayed 15th, the gap between them and the drop zone has now stretched to two points — and that’s worth about five in old money. "

The excerpt is from an article reporting a football game. I am puzzled by the usage of "old money" here. Can anyone explain it for me, thanks so much!
    I don't know much about sports, but I don't think this is a sports term.

Here's how I read it: Money changes value over time. A hat that cost $10 ten years ago might cost $15 today. The writer believes that football scores have also changed value over time, so a gap of two points today is worth what a gap of five points was once worth.

[I'm a copy editor and have tutored university writing.]

In football you get three points for winning a game, one for drawing it, and zero if you lose. Redknapp and Wenger are the managers of the two teams involved in an English premier league football match. "The drop zone" includes the teams(the bottom three)likely to be relegated to a lower tier of football league.

I think you got a fairly valid point about the expression, Charlie, and that's pretty much what I guess the author's true meaning could possibly be. Yet I still couldn't get my head around the implication suggested by this usage that two points somehow is equivalent to five in the past, because the pointing system has been permanent since the beginning of the premier league, which literally means two points is two points now and before as far as the league is concerned.

Even if there was a pointing regime where the winner of a game got five points, referring to it seems senseless to me, what is the point the author could be trying to make mentioning that two points amounted to five in an obsolete pointing system whose exsitence is only hypothetical for the sake of our dicussion?

Thank you for your help, Charlie.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I love a mystery.

And I just realized something: I was talking about American football. You're talking about (as we say on this side of the fishbowl) soccer!

This isn't a job for Columbo. It's a job for Sherlock Holmes.