1. Unregistered

difference in usge of 'since' and from

Hi All,

I need to understand that where do we use SINCE and where do we use FROM...

Any help would be appreciated.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: difference in usge of 'since' and from

Regarding these words as used to form temporal phrases/clauses:

1. 'Since' is both a conjunction and a preposition, whereas 'from' is only a preposition. Thus, both clauses and prepositional phrases can be formed with 'since', while only the latter can be formed with 'from'.

2. A since-clause/phrase relates typically to a present-anterior or past-anterior time frame. (The former is one viewed as extending from a point in past time up to the present time of utterance, and the latter one viewed as extending from a point in remote past time up to the past time of reference). That is to say, it typically modifies only present perfect or past perfect verb phrases (in either simple or progressive forms), as in

I have been studying since I got home*.

(= I started studying when I got home and am still doing so at the present moment.)

They had not seen each other since 1939.

(= 1939 was the last time that they had seen each other prior to the past time in which the narrative is set.)

A from-phrase, on the other hand, relates to a past, present or future time frame, as in

I lived there from 1973 to 1985.

(a past time frame)

I work from nine to five every day.

( a present time frame)

I'm going to be away from the 16th to the 23rd.

(a future time frame).

A from-phrase is always (at least implicitly) complemented by a to-phrase, needed to specify the end-point of the period in question (unnecessary in the case of a since-phrase, whose end is naturally specified, as noted above, by either the time of utterance or the time of reference).

*You'll also see from this that, although a since-phrase/clause cannot modify a past simple verb phrase, it can nevertheless contain one.
    Last edited by philo2009; 12-Feb-2009 at 12:39.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: difference in usge of 'since' and from

‘from’ is used when indicating the point in time at which a particular event or activity starts :
    The show will run from 10a.m. to 2p.m.
    10 a.m. is the definite starting time, and the construction ‘from…to’ gives us a definite start time and a finish time.
    Hence X (start)............... (and Y(finish))

‘since’ refers to the intervening period of time between a beginning time, and usually up to the present:

He has lived here since 1984.
    Hence |<1984^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^>|present
    Where ^^^^^ is indicating the period of time between 1984 and NOW.
    Because it refers to a period of time, 'since' CANNOT be used with the Simple Past tense form of the verb, only the Present Perfect.

Because 'from' refers to a point in time, it can be used with Past, Present, and Future forms of the verb.