Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 6

    How do I call this type of resident?

    How do I call the small villages that are found along river's margins? And the people who live there?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 902

    Re: How do I call this type of resident?

    There are no special commonly-used words for these that I know of, but you could call the villages riverine settlements and the inhabitants riversode dwellers.

    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 364

    Re: How do I call this type of resident?

    I have seen them in documentaries on TV. The English speaking world doesn't have them, so has no need of a specific word. It would borrow from the Portuguese if it needed one. They would be described much as you did, riverside villages. As for the people, villagers is most likely since words like peasants can be insulting.

Similar Threads

  1. How to call ...
    By flytothesky in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-Feb-2009, 18:02
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Jan-2008, 17:42
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19-Oct-2006, 07:28
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Dec-2005, 04:23
  5. Using call waiting feature
    By HaraKiriBlade in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Jun-2005, 06:55


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts