Would you please help me out?

"As everyone inched towards the one standing before him, the original lazy line has collapsed in on itself like a Slinky."
    What does this part "the original lazy line has collapsed in on itself like a Slinky" mean?
    Is there such a phrase "collapse in on itself"? Can "in" and "on" be used together this way?

Re: Would you please help me out?

A "Slinky" is a toy - see here: slinky - Google Image Search

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Ivyh View Post
    Is there such a phrase "collapse in on itself"? Can "in" and "on" be used together this way?
    Yes. Example: The thoughts were closing in on me. (meaning: I was getting engulfed by by own thoughts).

As for the "lazy" line collapsing in on itself, imagine a Slinky, how it works - it all comes tumbling down or it collapses on itself once it falls from the stairs for example. As the people in your sentence move forward in the line, the line pushes itself onwards and onto its own head. Like a slinky.

Quote Originally Posted by bianca View Post
    Yes. Example: The thoughts were closing in on me. (meaning: I was getting engulfed by by own thoughts).

As for the "lazy" line collapsing in on itself, imagine a Slinky, how it works - it all comes tumbling down or it collapses on itself once it falls from the stairs for example. As the people in your sentence move forward in the line, the line pushes itself onwards and onto its own head. Like a slinky.
    So, the line becomes shorter like a spring being pressed down?