Subject pronouns

Hello,

First, I am confused as to why the answer to the following online grammar quiz question at this site is 'me' and not 'I': Between you and ____, I really didn't like it.
    me
    I

Taking out the word 'between', the sentence works better, and is in my mind grammatically correct, with "I really didn't like it" instead of "Me really didn't like it."

Second, what is the correct order of a subject pronoun and object pronoun in a sentence? For example, "give it to me and Tom" or "give it to Tom and me." My first thought is that the former sounds more pleasing on the ear than the latter. However, if I remember correctly from my grammar classes MANY years ago, it's more polite to put the subject pronoun before the object pronoun.

Many kind thanks in advance for anyone who can answer the aforementioned questions.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Subject pronouns

Quote Originally Posted by creoleguy View Post
    Hello,

First, I am confused as to why the answer to the following online grammar quiz question at this site is 'me' and not 'I': Between you and ____, I really didn't like it. It is 'me' that is talking to 'you' and saying 'I really didn't like it.
    me
    I

Taking out the word 'between', the sentence works better, and is in my mind grammatically correct, with "I really didn't like it" instead of "Me really didn't like it."

Second, what is the correct order of a subject pronoun and object pronoun in a sentence? For example, "give it to me and Tom" or "give it to Tom and me." My first thought is that the former sounds more pleasing on the ear than the latter. However, if I remember correctly from my grammar classes MANY years ago, it's more polite to put the subject pronoun before the object pronoun. 'Give it to Tom and me' is correct.

Many kind thanks in advance for anyone who can answer the aforementioned questions.
    Bhai.