Talking oily

Hunting-gathering people selected wild plants for domestication for various reasons. Some plants had tasty fruit, some had fleshy or seedless fruit, and some had fruit with oily or tasty seeds. (Hi, everybody! What does "oily" mean in this context? I mean, the "oily seed" here means "the seeds which contain oil, or "the seed which smell or taste like oil"? I think these two explanations are both possible, so... what is your opinion?) In a certain part of prehistoric Mexico, there was a kind of squash that grew in abundance on hillsides. The flesh of this squash was bitter, so the people didn't eat it, but the seed were tasty and nourishing, and the people liked to gather them. ... ...

Thanks for your help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: oily

Quote Originally Posted by IMPSX-UE View Post
    Hunting-gathering people selected wild plants for domestication for various reasons. Some plants had tasty fruit, some had fleshy or seedless fruit, and some had fruit with oily or tasty seeds. (Hi, everybody! What does "oily" mean in this context? I mean, the "oily seed" here means "the seeds which contain oil, or "the seed which smell or taste like oil"? I think these two explanations are both possible, so... what is your opinion?) In a certain part of prehistoric Mexico, there was a kind of squash that grew in abundance on hillsides. The flesh of this squash was bitter, so the people didn't eat it, but the seed were tasty and nourishing, and the people liked to gather them. ... ...

Thanks for your help.
    'Oily seeds' means oil bearing seeds, seeds with a high oil content.

Re: oily

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    'Oily seeds' means oil bearing seeds, seeds with a high oil content.
    bhaisahab, thank you for taking your time to look at my question! Thanks!