• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

expression of agreement or confirmation with the help of Infinitive used as an object

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me your expert advice regarding my attempt to express an agreement or confirmation with the help of a Infinitive (affirmative or negative) used as an object?

1.1.Do you really mean to give this new camera to Bill on his birthday? Don’t you think such a present is too expensive for a boy of his age?
    1.2.You are quite right there. I decided not to give it to him. He is still a very young child.
    1.1.I think it is too early for Betty to go out yet. She is still very weak.
    1.2.You are perfectly right. The doctor told her to stay in for another week at least.
    3.1. I’m sure Mary took offence at hearing your joke at the party.
    3.2. That’s just what I think. For when I met her the other day she turned a way and pretended not to see me.

4.1.Helen never went to a ballet-school in her shildhood. But she dances like a professional, doesn’t she?
    4.2.That’s just what I’ve always thought. I know who taught her to dance?

5.1.It’s only five, but it’s getting dark, and the children are still in the park.
    5.2.That’s just what I was going to say. We mustn’t allow them to stay out so late in winter.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    Last edited by vil; 16-Feb-2009 at 21:07.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: expression of agreement or confirmation with the help of Infinitive used as an ob

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me your expert advice regarding my attempt to express an agreement or confirmation with the help of a Infinitive (affirmative or negative) used as an object?

1.1.Do you really mean to give this new camera to Bill on his birthday? Donít you think such a present is too expensive for a boy of his age?
    1.2.You are quite right there. I decided not to give it to him. He is still a very young child.
    1.1.I think it is too early for Betty to go out yet. She is still very weak.
    1.2.You are perfectly right. The doctor told her to stay in for another week at least.
    3.1. Iím sure Mary took offence at hearing your joke at the party.
    3.2. Thatís just what I think. For when I met her the other day she turned a way and pretended not to see me OR pretended not to have seen me.

4.1.Helen never went to a ballet-school in her childhood. But she dances like a professional, doesnít she?
    4.2.Thatís just what Iíve always thought. I know who taught her to dance?

5.1.Itís only five, but itís getting dark, and the children are still in the park.
    5.2.Thatís just what I was going to say. We mustnít allow them to stay out so late in winter.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    All are very fine. I have only given an alternative suggestion at one statement as it sounds good to me.