• Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

submissive,by name,

My sweetest and respected teacher,
    1 : "I'm submissive" correct?
    2 : "He's a Muslim by name" means He's a Muslim but he doesn't lead his life as a good Muslim should, right?
    3 : "Get a load of something else" means look at something else, right?
    4 : "Please delete my picture after seeing" it OR "after you have seen it"?
    5 : "People often cook cauliflower with peas" correct?
    6 : "Not to speak of eating, he didn't even offer tea" What does it mean?
    7 : "Buy a card and keep it with yourself and give me when I'm online" correct?
    8 : "I'm at cobbler's shop'' Is that how we should say?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: submissive,by name,

Quote Originally Posted by twilit1988 View Post
    My sweetest and respected teacher,
    1 : "I'm submissive" correct? The grammar is correct. I don't know whether you're submissive.
    2 : "He's a Muslim by name" means He's a Muslim but he doesn't lead his life as a good Muslim should, right? The grammar is correct, but most people would say "...in name, only." Or: "He's nominally a Muslim." Or: "He's a cultural Muslim."
    3 : "Get a load of something else" means look at something else, right? No. Though "Get a load of" does mean "look at," this is not the right way to use it.
    4 : "Please delete my picture after seeing" it OR "after you have seen it"? Either say "...after seeing it" or "...after you have seen it."
    5 : "People often cook cauliflower with peas" correct? Yes.
    6 : "Not to speak of eating, he didn't even offer tea" What does it mean? He didn't offer food, and worse, he didn't offer tea.
    7 : "Buy a card and keep it with yourself and give me when I'm online" correct? I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Maybe: "Buy a card, and give it to me when I'm online"?
    8 : "I'm at cobbler's shop'' Is that how we should say? It should be either: "I'm at a cobbler's shop" or "I'm at the cobbler's shop," depending on your meaning. Use "the" if the person you're talking to knows which cobbler shop. If not, use "a."
    [I edit copy and have tutored college writing.]