I don't understand the situation

This is an exerpt from a recent article:

A man was arrested Friday in the sexual battery of a girl who told deputies he has abused her over the last 10 years, the Manatee Sheriff’s Office said.

The 16-year-old girl told authorities that Ronald L. Twilley, 47, of the 2600 block of Cortez Road West, sexually abused her while they lived in Georgia and in two residences in Florida.
    Twilley was an acquaintance of the girl’s mother.
    The girl said Twilley would come into her room at least four times a week and would hit her if she resisted his sexual advances, the report said.

My questions are following:
    1 Does "they" mean Twilley and the girl, or including her mother?
    2 Does "in two residences" mean that they moved once in Florida?
    3 Does "acquaintance" mean simply that they were acquaintances, or imply that they were lovers?
    4 Generally, did the man live together with the girl and her mother?

Thank you in advance
    Unepomme

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: I don't understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by unepomme View Post

A man was arrested Friday in the sexual battery of a girl who told deputies he has abused her over the last 10 years, the Manatee Sheriff’s Office said.

The 16-year-old girl told authorities that Ronald L. Twilley, 47, of the 2600 block of Cortez Road West, sexually abused her while they lived in Georgia and in two residences in Florida.
    The girl said Twilley would come into her room at least four times a week and would hit her if she resisted his sexual advances, the report said.

1 Does "they" mean Twilley and the girl, or including her mother? I presume that it means that they all lived in the same house. If he has been abusing her since she was 6 years old, he would have to live in the house, for the child wouldn't be going anywhere on her own.

2 Does "in two residences" mean that they moved once in Florida? Yes

3 Does "acquaintance" mean simply that they were acquaintances, or imply that they were lovers?Aquaintance would indicate to me that it was a person living in the house, not necessarily a lover of the mother.

4 Generally, did the man live together with the girl and her mother? Yes, again, in order to have access to the child four times a week, he would have to be living in the house.

Thank you in advance
    Unepomme
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: I don't understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by unepomme View Post

It's poorly written.

1 Does "they" mean Twilley and the girl, or including her mother? The sentence refers to Twilley and the girl but does not exclude the mother.
    2 Does "in two residences" mean that they moved once in Florida? Yes - good!
    3 Does "acquaintance" mean simply that they were acquaintances, or imply that they were lovers? It's unclear.
    4 Generally, did the man live together with the girl and her mother? Just from what's written, we don't know whether the mother lived with Twilley and the girl. I'm assuming she did.

Thank you in advance
    Unepomme
    [I edit copy and have tutored college writing.]