• Thread starter Shavok
  • Start date
  • Views : 118,008
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shavok

hello,

- Is there any difference between having been and have been? If yes, anybody would expalian giving suitable examples?

- Cat is out of the bage. What does that mean?

- ''He invited critisimsm himself to have written such an article in news paper'' - is this setence is correct? if yes what does it mean by using 'to have' here. If incorrect pls correct.

thank you,

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
hello,

- Is there any difference between having been and have been? If yes, anybody would expalian giving suitable examples?

- ''He invited critisimsm himself to have written such an article in news paper'' - is this setence is correct? if yes what does it mean by using 'to have' here. If incorrect pls correct.

thank you,

Is there any difference between having been and have been? If yes, anybody would explain giving suitable examples?

Yes there is a lot of difference:
  • Have been” is simple present perfect tense form used to express completed action.
Examples: I have been to Paris thrice.
It is also used in formation of perfect continuous tenses to express duration of an action.
Examples: I have been reading this novel since three hours. (present perfect continuous)
He had been waiting for one hour when she arrived. (Past perfect continuous)

You will have been waiting for more than two hours when her plane finally arrives. (Future perfect continuous)
  • Having been” is the past participle form and used to emphasize that a first action has been completed before the second action begins.
Examples: Having been to Paris, I wrote an article on Eifell Tower.
Having seen an accident ahead, I stopped my car.

This is a famous proverb meaning: A secret has become open or out.A secret is like a cat that has been kept in a bag. Once you let the cat out of the bag, it goes wherever it wants.

- ''He invited criticismfor himself after having written such an article in the news paper'' - is this setence is correct? No. it has been corrected. ( if yes what does it mean by using 'to have' here.) If incorrect pls correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.